Bachelor of Music
The purposes of the School of Music are to educate and mentor music students to become articulate musicians, successful as music teachers, performers, composers, scholars, business persons in music-related enterprises, and/or students in advanced degree programs; to welcome students whose studies are concentrated in other fields into a community of music education and appreciation, instrumental and vocal instruction, and ensemble participation; to enrich the musical life of the University and community through public music performance and non-curricular instruction; and to provide leadership and maintain professional relationships and activities with musicians regionally, nationally, and internationally.
The school offers programs leading to the Bachelor of Music degree. Students may choose from six concentrations within this major-Instrumental Music Education, Vocal/General Music Education K-12, Voice Performance, Instrumental Performance, Music Industry, and Theory-Composition. Minors in Music, American Music Studies, and Music Industry are also available.
The School of Music has been an accredited baccalaureate and graduate degree granting institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) since 1970. The Bachelor of Music degree programs with concentrations in Instrumental Music Education and Vocal/General Music Education K-12 are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). In the spirit of sharing information related to the program's performance with the public, the following data is provided.
Time to Degree
- Total Credit Hours Required for Degree: 120-128
- Total Time to Graduate (14-17 Credit Hours Each Term): 8 Semesters or 4 years (if
attending only fall and spring terms)
*The time to graduation is for students beginning the program with no prior college credit.
- Music, Instrumental Music Education, B.M., Academic Map
- Music, Instrumental Performance (Brass, Orchestral Strings, Woodwinds, and Percussion), B.M., Academic Map
- Music, Instrumental Performance (Guitar), B.M., Academic Map
- Music, Instrumental Performance (Jazz Studies), B.M., Academic Map
- Music, Instrumental Performance (Organ), B.M., Academic Map
- Music, Instrumental Performance (Piano), B.M., Academic Map
- Music, Music Industry (Entrepreneurship Minor), B.M., Academic Map
- Music, Music Industry (Recording Industry Minor), B.M., Academic Map
- Music, Theory-Composition, B.M., Academic Map
- Music, Vocal/General Music Education, B.M., Academic Map
- Music, Voice Performance, B.M., Academic Map