Understanding the Basics
MTSU has invested in three pieces of software to assist remote and online instruction. This page offers links to basic instruction on D2L (a.k.a. Brightspace), Zoom, and Panopto.
Desire2Learn (D2L) is MTSU’s online learning management system (LMS).
Visit the D2L Support page to learn how to use the features of D2L effectively and efficiently.
- Bootcamp Workshop
- Attend a Bootcamp workshop prior to the beginning of the fall and spring terms.
- See the workshop schedule to sign up.
- D2L Bootcamp Course
- Self-pace through a D2L course created by FITC to find detailed references and videos for using several features of D2L.
- Learn more and self-register.
- Remote Instruction Standards Course
- Self-pace through a D2L course created by MTSU Online to provide fundamental information
needed to develop a remote instruction/delivery course.
How to access the course
- Login to D2L with your MTSU credentials
- Join the course by clicking the Self-Registrationoption on your D2L Homepage and then clicking the Remote Instruction Standards Course link.
- Once enrolled, either move through the course from start to finish or review those areas of remote learning that are unfamiliar to you. Use this course as a reference or refresher at any time. It will be updated regularly and always remain available for your use.
- Self-pace through a D2L course created by MTSU Online to provide fundamental information needed to develop a remote instruction/delivery course.
- Individual Instruction
- We are always happy to help faculty with D2L or any instructional technology. Feel free to schedule an appointment.
Announcement / News Tool
Video Note in D2L/Brightspace
Zoom Video Conferencing
Zoom provides remote conferencing services including video conferencing, online meetings, chat, and mobile collaboration.
How to Access Zoom:
- View more information on training and support, including one-minute videos and other how-to’s.
Sign Into Zoom
- Go to https://zoom.mtsu.edu.
- Use your MTSU Username (FSA) and Password.
Zoom Ettiquette Handout:
Quick Video Guide to Zoom Personal Meeting ID & Waiting Room
From CLA Advising Secretary, Jennifer Rice, a short training video intended originally for the advisors, but helpful for anyone who uses Zoom for office hours or meetings with students. As a bonus, it includes a section on breakout rooms.
8:31 Zoom hosting features
11:20 Waiting room notification
11:51 Setting up pop out windows
12:09 Waiting room messaging
15:09 Changing default meeting options while in a meeting
16:42 Breakout rooms
20:51 Being the host and how to share hosting duties
23:57 What the student sees
Panopto allows you to create your own videos and embed them in D2L.
- View step-by-step instructions on using Panopto.
- Watch a video about D2L, Zoom, and Panopto Integration.
- Watch a video about how to use Panopto.
- Find more resources and support for Panopto.
The LT&ITC also offers Panopto workshops: see Archived Presentations for a link to a recent presentation.