Research Assistant Positions
Math and Science Education Research Assistant Position
- The Tennessee STEM Education Center (TSEC) at MTSU is looking for students to help with a variety of math and science education research projects. These projects are investigating a variety of research questions, such as how teachers learn from their everyday classroom experiences, the impact of STEM teachers’ professional networks on their retention and self-efficacy, and how teachers and students interact in math or science classrooms. Research assistants will work with collaborative teams of professors, as well as graduate and undergraduate students. Long-term successful work in this position has the potential to lead to independent research projects and authoring research publications.
Position is available for course credit (3 credit hours) or as a paid position.
- Students with Federal Work-Study allotment for the 2019-20 academic year are welcome to apply
- Pay rate: $9.00-12.00/hour, depending on experience; $9.00/hr for FWS positions
At least 8 open positions available Fall 2019. To apply, fill out an application with unofficial transcript, resume, and cover letter: Apply Here
- Willing to work at least 8 hours every week and attend weekly meeting with supervisor.
- Interest in education, teaching, mathematics, or science.
- Experience or coursework in social sciences research methodologies, including qualitative methods or statistics.
- Ideal candidates are organized, detail-oriented, and work well independently.
- Undergraduate and graduate students from all majors are welcome to apply.
- Qualitatively analyze videos and written work for teacher thinking and practices, student engagement, and/or classroom format
- Quantitative data processing and social network analysis
- Run descriptive and inferential statistics on quantitative data (e.g. t-tests, ANOVA)
- Conduct literature reviews (e.g. reading articles, finding quotes, writing annotated bibliographies, etc.)
- Collect research data (e.g. conduct interviews, design, and administer surveys)
Specific responsibilities depend on projects assigned to RA based on their expertise
- All work is done on the MTSU campus in the Fairview building with computers and software provided
- Flexible hours outside of research team meetings
- Training in specific analytical procedures and software will be provided
- Position lasts 2 semesters with extension through summer or additional school years if interested in continuing with related projects