Undergraduate Research Center
Welcome to the MTSU Undergraduate Research Center (URC)! The center was created in 2004 to promote mentored research at the undergraduate level and provide university support for undergraduate students and the faculty members who mentor them in scholarly and creative activities. This includes providing information and financial support through grants. Mentored research strengthens students' content knowledge, research skills, and soft skills that employers and graduate schools value.
In addition to funding student research through our Undergraduate Research Experience and Creative Activity (URECA) grants, the URC hosts several events each year that give MTSU students an opportunity to showcase their research. These events include the Summer Research Celebration, the Fall Undergraduate Research Open House, Posters at the Capitol, and Scholars Week. We hope you will check out these events and join us to experience the benefits of mentored research firsthand.
Follow us on Facebook!
Upcoming Events and Important Deadlines
- MTSU Scholars Week is an annual, week-long celebration of research, scholarship, and creative projects. Scholars Week 2019 will be held March 18-22. The week features guest speakers and other events, and culminates in a university-wide poster fair of student research posters and creative performances on March 22. Look for the poster abstract proposal form in January 2019.
- Summer URECA application deadline: March 28, 2019 by 3:00 PM. If your project requires IRB or IACUC approval, the URECA Committee strongly recommends
that you begin the approval process before you begin your proposal. Please visit MTSU's
IRB website> to find out if your project will require IRB approval. Application instructions:
- Go to the URECA Information and Applications webpage and download the appropriate PDF form - Scholar or Assistant - for your proposal
- Fill out the form with the help of your project's faculty mentor and save as a PDF
- Go to the URECA application site
- Register for an account.
- Confirm your email address
- Following the directions on the website for uploading your application
- Submit your application by 3:00p.m. on March 28, 2019
URECA Luncheon – April 8, 2019, 11:30am – 12:30am, MT Center. In conjunction with National Undergraduate Research Week and the Alumni Spring Showcase, the Undergraduate Research Center invites all current and previous URECA scholars and mentors to join us for lunch as we celebrate the successes of undergraduate research. Robert “Hoot” Gibson, a former American naval officer and aviator, aeronautical engineer, and retired NASA astronaut, will be the keynote speaker.
For questions about any of our upcoming events, please contact:
Jamie Burriss, Ph.D.
As part of the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs, the Undergraduate Research Center (URC) mission is to be the central hub for communication about undergraduate research grant programs and other related opportunities on and off campus and to distribute university funds for undergraduate research and creative projects and travel to disseminate results.
The URC is pursuing its vision to nurture a culture of research and creative activity at MTSU through support for undergraduate students and their faculty mentors.
Implement the goals of the University's Academic Master Plan related to the URC mission with the following values:
- Excellence in research, scholarship, and creative projects
- Opportunities for student-centered learning
- Productive internal and external collaborations and partnerships
- Success in academic and professional careers of our undergraduate students and their faculty mentors