Skip to Main Content
10 Things You Can Do to Prevent Stormwater Runoff Pollution & Protect Streams
- Use fertilizers sparingly and sweep up driveways, sidewalks, and roads.
- Never dump anything down storm drains or divert to pavement that flows to them.
- Plant grass or plants on the bare spots in your yard. Don't mow to the stream bank.
Leave a buffer and riparian area to filter and protect the stream.
- Compost your yard waste. Leave grass clippings on the lawn for extra nutrients.
- Avoid pesticides; learn about Integrated Pest Management (IPM).
- Direct downspouts away from paved surfaces, and collect rainwater for other reuse
when possible in rain barrels etc.
- Take your car to the car wash or wash on the lawn, instead of washing it in the driveway
or paved surfaces.
- Repair vehicle leaks. Recycle motor oil and take chemicals and pharmaceuticals to collection
events in your area.
- Pick up after your pet.
- Have your septic tank pumped and system inspected regularly.