The Writing Center supports all levels of writers in all disciplines at any stage of the writing process for any kind of written project or assignment including multimedia projects. We offer 25-minute and 45-minute sessions face-to-face or online as well as group sessions and long-term writing partnerships.
To schedule an appointment, access our online portal WCONLINE. To find out more about types of appointments, WC Online, or tips for a successful visit, click one of the links below or call us at 615-904-8237.
- Face-to-face session: A 25 or 45-minute session where writers may work on any kind of writing including traditional essays, reports, creative writing, speeches, multi-modal projects, and more!
- Online session: A 25 or 45-minute session where you communicate in real time with a writing consultant
using audio-visual technology through WCONLINE, our online scheduler. If you do not have audio-visual capabilities, an online session
can be conducted using thechatbox feature. Please note: Due to the limitations of
our online software, it is best to work on formatting issues in a face-to-face session.
Tips for an online session:
- Start your session on time or call us if you are having technology issues at 615-904-8237.
- Use the whiteboard to import your document if you have one for the session. Changes made to the text are highlighted and seen immediately by both the writer and consultant. Feel free to use the toolbar and drawing tools during your session as well.
- After your session, your document will be saved in this online meeting. You can always come back by viewing your appointment and clicking "Start or Join Online Consultation."
- Writing Partnership: A program that allows writers to meet weekly at the same day and time with a writing consultant to work toward the writer's goals. For more information or to request a Writing Partnership, see our Writing Partnership page.
- Group tutoring: A session in which a writing consultant will facilitate collaboration on your group project. All group members must be present for a group session and working on a single project.
- Be on time! This will help you make the most of your appointment. Appointments are held for ten
minutes past the start time. After ten minutes, the appointment is marked as a "no
show," and the remainder of the appointment is made available for walk-ins.
- Remember, you can cancel your appointment by accessing the schedule at https://mtsu.mywconline.com or by calling us at 615-904-8237. After 3 no-shows in a semester, you will no longer be able to have appointments with the UWC during that semester.
- Be prepared! Bring your paper if you already have a draft, and bring your assignment sheet if you have one. If you need to print your paper, we suggest you show up a few minutes early to print so that you can use all of your session time to focus on your paper. Feel free to bring your own personal computer or device--we can work from there too! For online sessions, have your assignment sheet and any writing you have done ready to upload to the whiteboard space in WC Online.
- Have an open mind! We will use a variety of strategies to help you reach your goals.
- Need proof of attendance? We will email you a session review form following the end of your session. This form can be emailed or printed for your instructor.
- Working on an exam? Have you instructor contact us! We are happy to work with you on written exams with advance notice and permission from your instructor. Permission should be emailed from your instructor to one of our administrative staff or to email@example.com.
- To access the schedule, please go to https://mtsu.mywconline.com. If you don't have a WCONLINE account, select " register for an account." Fill out the form using your MTSU email address.
- Once you have logged-in to the site, the schedule will appear starting with the present day. You may also view future weeks by clicking "Next Week >" at the top.
- To schedule an appointment, click on an uncolored, white box beside a tutor's name. A new window will open with the tutor's name at the top.
- Click on the drop down menu next to "Time" to determine the length of your session. All appointments are 25 or 45 minutes in length, but they must be made in 30-minute or 1-hour blocks on the schedule.
- Please then fill out the form with as much information as possible; this will help us best serve you.
- If you are unable to schedule an appointment at a specific time because the schedule
is full, you may use the Wait-List feature. To use:
- Click the words "Waiting List" at the bottom right of each day's schedule. You may then specify which times you would like an appointment.
- Click "Join the Waiting List."
- The system will email you if the time becomes available.
- Access WC Online or call us to schedule your appointment in the requested time slot. NOTE: You will NOT be automatically filled into the available space. Appointments are always first come, first served.
- If you need assistance navigating the site, or if you'd like to make an appointment over the phone. Please call us at 615-904-8237 !
- Reminder: If you cannot attend your session, please call us, email us, or cancel your
appointment using WC Online before your session time.
After 3 no-shows in a semester, you will no longer be able to have appointments with the UWC during that semester.
Walker Library, Room 362