Workshops and Special Events
Events Spring 2020
- January 16: The UWC will participate in beginning-of-the-semester events including the Charlie and Hazel Daniels Veterans and Military Family Center's "Newcomer's Briefing" Orientation and MTSU Online orientation.
- February 7: The UWC will host its first First Friday Brown Bag Lunch of the semester for graduate English students and faculty.
- February 12-13: The UWC with MT Engage will hold an ePortfolio write-in from 2:20-4:20 on Wednesday and 1:00-3:00 on Thursday.
- March 20: The UWC will host its second First Friday Brown Bag event.
- March 24: Win $100! The UWC with James E. Walker Library will be holding a creative writing contest with the theme of Eureka! Three categories of entry are poetry, short fiction, and short creative nonfiction. All submissions must be no more than 7,000 characters (1,200 words or 2.5 single-spaced pages). One winner from each category will receive a $100 prize and the winner and honorable mention from each category will be invited to give a reading of their work in Walker Library. Please e-mail your submissions and any questions to both Dr. Jason Martin, Interim Dean of the Walker Library (email@example.com) and Dr. Erica Cirillo-McCarthy, Director of the Margaret H. Ordoubadian University Writing Center (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- April 3: The UWC will host its final First Friday Brown Bag event of the semester.
Events Fall 2019
- August 19-22: The UWC participated in several beginning-of-the-semester events including: New Faculty Orientation, International Student Orientation, College of Graduate Studies Orientation, the Charlie and Hazel Daniels Veterans and Military Family Center's "Newcomer's Briefing" Orientation, and the Student Transition and Academic Readiness (S.T.A.R.) program.
- August 28: The UWC Open House: Attendees had coffee and treats on us and learned more about the UWC!
- September 4: The UWC joined the Makerspace for an Open House.
- September 18: The UWC with MT Engage presented an LT&ITC workshop on Designing and Evaluating Reflective Writing Assignments at 11:00.
- September 19: The UWC hosted Central Magnet School writing tutors for a professional development workshop day.
- September 24: The UWC welcomed Siegel High School tutors for a professional development workshop day.
- September 26: The UWC participated in a workshop series for graduate writing with Walker Library and the College of Graduate Studies. The UWC hosted its workshop on Graduate Level Writing at 10:00 am and 6:00 pm in LIB 272.
- October 4: The UWC held the very first First Friday Brown Bag Lunch of the semester for English graduate students and English graduate faculty.
- October 10: The UWC and MTSU Online hosted Dr. Beth Hewett, an expert on online writing instruction and support, for a dynamic guest lecture at 11:00 in HONR 106. Anyone who teachers online/hybrid courses that have reading and writing components were encouraged to attend.
- October 17 and October 21: The UWC along with Walker Library and the College of Graduate Studies hosted two Writing Center Writing Retreats for graduate students. Both were held at 10:00 am in LIB 272.
- November 1: The UWC held the second First Friday Brown Bag Lunch of the semester.
- November 2: The UWC was proud to host Tutor Collaboration Day (TuColla) 2019 sponsored by the Southeastern Writing Center Association (SWCA)! Please see our TuColla 2019 website for details and CFP.
- December 3 and December 4: The UWC with MTEngage hosted an ePortfolio write-in from 3:00-5:00 in LIB 264.
Events Spring 2019
- The UWC collected books for the Children's Book Drive until April 12, 2019. The books were donated in April.
- TheUWC hosted "First Friday" Brown Bag Lunch Series for English graduate students
in fall and spring semester. Here are some highlights from spring 2019:
- February 1, 12:00-1:00pm, LIB 362: Dr. Eric Detweiler and PhD student Sarah Wolfe. Download Flyer for more details
- February 22, 12:00-1:00pm, LIB 362: Dr. Poushali Bhadury and PhD candidate Rachel Donegan. Download Flyer for more details
- March 29, 12:00-1:00pm, LIB 362: Drs. Ellen Donovan, Rhonda McDaniel, William Levine, Chris Weedman, Eric Detweiler, and Martha Dixon discussed their upcoming summer and fall courses.
Walker Library, Room 362
The Writing Center
Middle Tennessee State University
Murfreesboro, TN 37132