Admissions & Standards
Should my proposal be directed to the Admissions & Standards Committee or the Curriculum Committee?
- The Admissions and Standards Committee at MTSU is charged with reviewing and approving the following:
- Changes to undergraduate minimum grade or GPA requirements for either admission to or retention in a program, department, school, college or the university
- Changes to admission requirements for the university related to test scores, course work, or other factors
- Changes in academic policies that impact retention in the university, ie. academic probation and suspension policies
- Requirements within a major that change the standards for graduation or retention
- Undergraduate grading scales and systems
- Changes to academic performance requirements at the university level
- The Curriculum Committee at MTSU is charged with reviewing and approving the following items:
- Proposed New Course
- Inactivation of Course
- Course Number/Title Change
- Reactivation of Course
- Changes in Credit Hours
- Changes in Grading System
- Cross Listing of Course
- Changes in Admission to Major
- Non-substantive Revisions in Curriculum of Existing Major, Minor, and Concentrations
The Admissions and Standards Committee should be composed of two (2) faculty members from each cohort; two (2) students, preferably upper-class representatives. The Vice Provost for Academic Programs, Associate Vice Provost for Admissions and Enrollment Services, the Dean of the College of Graduate Studies, and the Director of General Education will serve as ex-officio members.
Charge of the Admissions and Standards Committee
The Admissions and Standards Committee will evaluate the University's admissions policies and graduation requirements; review policies and practices pertaining to retention, course grading, and other academic performance requirements.