CUSTOMS Orientation with the COE
Welcome to the College of Education! We look forward to working with you as you begin your journey to becoming a teacher. The information and details below provide step-by-step instructions and resources for new student orientation (CUSTOMS). Thanks for choosing to become a teacher and being True Blue!
New students will first register for an upcoming CUSTOMS event. Our incoming freshmen will attend a two-day event that will involve multiple aspects of campus orientation in addition to advising. Our incoming transfers will attend a one-day advising event. Those new students who elect not to attend CUSTOMS will need to schedule an individual advising appointment and will not be permitted to register until after the final CUSTOMS session of the term. For those students, visit "Who is My Advisor?" to learn whom you will need to contact. See the bottom of this page for a Missed CUSTOMS section with more details.
While awaiting to receive next steps via email from the advisor assigned to work with students at that event, you will complete all of the Online CUSTOMS modules When you have finished the program, you will receive an electronic Certificate of Completion that you will then need to email to your advisor as verification of this step.
Close to your registered session, a COE advisor will reach out to you via MT email with a pre-advising survey that will help ensure we can create accurate documentation that fits your needs, so make sure your MTmail account is set up and check it often. If you need assistance in doing this please contact the ITD Help Desk. Advising will begin via email in the days leading up to your CUSTOMS session so that you have time to review your advising folder before the day of.
All students should follow along MTSU’s helpful new student checklists to make sure you are prepared for CUSTOMS Day. Being proactive will ensure you can register on time without any restrictions. We also encourage you to look through the COE Advising Resource page for documentation about our Pre-Candidacy admission process as well as Student Success tips and MTSU student resources.
Do you need to register with our Disability & Access Center?
Are a Veteran/Dependent using Veteran benefits?
Are you Honors eligible and interested in discovering the ways you can integrate MTSU's Honors program into your teaching pathway?
DID YOU MISS CUSTOMS?
For those new admits who were unable to attend CUSTOMS, please follow these steps for orientation and advising requirements before registration is allowed.
- Make sure your MT accounts like MTmail and Pipeline are set up.
- Check Pipeline for any missing Admissions requirements:
- In your Admissions Application, select “check admission status” to view outstanding requirements.
- Under the “Registration and Student Records” tab, click the “holds” page to see if you have any outstanding holds that may prevent registration.
- Submit any required vaccination records to Health Services using the Student Portal.
- Complete all of the Online CUSTOMS modules to prepare for advising and registration.
- Set up your financial aid at the MT OneStop.
- Meet with your advisor for help with registration and to understand your degree requirements. Go to our advising page to figure out which advisor to reach out to.