Opportunities for Staff
Participating in the EXL program at MTSU can provide staff with valuable opportunities to:
- assist students in attaining their educational goals
- provide experience for students that will enhance their career options
- gain valuable experience in an administrative office environment
Find out if EXL will work for you:
1. Why should administrative staff be involved in EXL?
Your participation provides learning opportunities to students and an administrative staff office. EXL involvement may garner outstanding staff awards.
2. What are some of the ways administrative staff can be involved in the EXL program?
If your work area has available work that fits an academic discipline of study, consider offering a practical experience class (internship). Some examples include criminal justice student interns for University Police or English student interns for a grant-writing office or policy-writing position.
Students will also complete an MTSU service component. Your work area may have volunteer opportunities such as students assisting new MTSU students as mentors or students assisting with fund-raising activities such as the Heart Walk with work units.
3. How do I get involved?
Contact Carol Swayze at Carol.Swayze@mtsu.edu or call her at 615-898-5542.
Administrators who want to be involved should begin developing ideas and seeking acceptance into the program.
4. What is the application process?
Administrators will have to write a short proposal for how their unit will be involved.
Faculty and administrative staff who have service learning, civic engagement, and/or leadership studies course ideas may complete a course proposal to offer a section of the 2000 or 3000 level EXL prefix classes.