The Buchanan Fellowship
The Honors College is home to the Buchanan Fellowship, named in honor of MTSU's Nobel Prize winning alumnus, Dr. James M. Buchanan. The Buchanan Fellowship is limited to 20 students each per year. The Buchanan Fellowship is the highest award given to an entering freshman at Middle Tennessee State University.
- Full tuition waiver (up to 16 hours per semester) guaranteed for four years
- Special seminars
- Priority registration
- $500 book allowance for Fall and Spring semesters
- Access to additional scholarships for study abroad (up to $5,000)
- 30 or greater ACT or 1360 or greater SAT
- 3.5 or higher high school GPA
Buchanan Fellows Graduation Benchmarks
- Complete the 9-hours of Buchanan classes and 6 hours or regular Honors classes by the end of the sophomore year
- Complete all other requirements for graduation with University Honors (or Distinction in University Honors), by the end of your senior year
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 (on a 4.0 scale)
The preceding requirements are minimal. Buchanan Fellows will participate fully in the Buchanan Seminars—a specially designed cohort curriculum in which the students will take three general studies classes together. Successful applicants generally possess qualifications that equal or surpass those required for other MTSU academic scholarships. Students accepted to the program participate in a specially designed cohort curriculum of courses, which are limited to Buchanan Fellows.
Students who take a gap year, or years, after high school are eligible to apply the December of the year before which they plan to attend.
*** WE OFFER TWO SUBMISSION DEADLINE OPTIONS. PLEASE SELECT ONE OPTION WHEN YOU OPEN YOUR APPLICATION***
- All applications must be submitted by December 1, 2023 no later than 11:59 p.m. Central Standard Time.
- If you are selecting early acceptance (see below), applications must be submitted by November 1, 2023 no later than 11:59 p.m. Central Standard Time.
Having technical problems? Click below for information on how to get assistance!