International Graduate Students
|New Application||Change Application|
We want the best students to join our university and invest $2,000,000 annually for International Merit Scholarships. Graduate Assistantships are also available on a competitive base. All international students are encouraged to submit their application as early as possible to provide enough time for the additional governmental processing of immigration documents and issuance of VISA or other scholarship-related applications.
|Fall||June 1 of the same year|
|Spring||October 1 of the previous year|
|Summer||March 1 of the same year (Only for students already in the United States)|
** Academic Departments might have different deadlines
** Students applying for conditional admission should open "Admission Requirements" below and click Conditional Admission for detailed information.
NOTE: The University will not consider incomplete applications. All required documents must be submitted for consideration. Application may take up to one month (30 days) to process.
- Online Application
- The College of Graduate Studies will only correspond with the applicant directly. We welcome inquiries from family and friends, but we will only give out general information about the applicant's status.
- All acceptance letters and additional documents will be sent directly to the applicant. Students who have changed addresses, semester of entry, or have additional questions or requests, must submit all requests in writing in a timely manner.
- Application materials should be typed or printed neatly with all areas that pertain to the individual completed. Incomplete applications will not be processed. You must submit a permanent overseas home address for our immigration records.
- Graduate students submitting provisional certificates (courses in progress) will have one semester from the issuance date to have their school submit to The College of Graduate Studies the conferred degree.
- A letter of admission or denial will be forwarded to you by the College of Graduate Studies once a decision has been made. This process can take up to four weeks to complete. Therefore, early completion of your file is to your benefit.
- Your I-20 immigration document cannot be issued until your admission is complete. Therefore, make sure that you complete your admission packet with enough time for making all plans to attend the semester indicated on your application.
- Application Fee
- Non-refundable fee of US $50
- A credit card is required for the application fee payment.
- There are no fee waivers offered.
- Proof of English Proficiency Please submit the official scores from one of the following:
- TOEFL- IBT minimum score 71 (We ONLY accept ETS official test scores for the TOEFL); TEST CODE for MTSU is 1466
- IELTS- overall score of 6
- UMELI- minimum score 85
- ELS Level 112 Certificate of Completion
- Duolingo English Test - minimum score 95
- Not Required if
- English is the native language of the country of citizenship
- The applicant has earned a bachelor's or master's degree from a U.S. accredited 4-year college or university
- Appropriate Test Score
Official test scores are required for admission. Official test scores must be sent directly from the testing center to the College of Graduate Studies at MTSU.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) TEST CODE is 1466
- Miller Analogies Test (MAT) - TEST CODE is 1751
- Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)
- ACTG - 6ZR-KJ-63
- INFS - 6ZR-KJ-37
- MS - Finance - 6ZR-KJ-07
- Management and MBA (Full-time) - 6ZR-KJ-25
- Management and MBA (Part-time) - 6ZR-KJ-52
- Required minimum scores vary by academic departments. Please check your department for more information.
- To determine whether you are required to submit GRE, GMAT or MAT scores, please refer to the Graduate Catalog or the Admission Requirements section of your desired program. Information for Degree Programs
- The College of Graduate Studies offers GRE and GMAT Workshops throughout the year. Please check their resources page for more information.
- GPA of 2.75 (Grade Point Average of 4.0 scale) required for admission
- Submit all college/university official transcripts you have earned within the U.S.
- Submit a course-by-course evaluated transcript from a NACES evaluation service for all non-U.S. college/university transcripts. Reputable services include:
- IEE (International Education Evaluations)
- World Education Services, Inc.
- Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc
- Foundation for International Services, Inc.
Photocopies cannot be accepted. It is required that you have a commercial evaluation service to translate and evaluate the transcripts. The evaluation service must send the report directly to The College of Graduate Studies office.
Additional Program Requirements
Please check your program for additional requirements such as recommendation letters, additional test scores, resumes etc...
Information for Newly Admitted Students
International students who have been admitted to MTSU must submit the following documents;
- Tuberculosis Forms Packet
- Proof of two (2) Measles, Mumps ,Rubella (MMR) Immunizations and two (2) Varicella (Chicken Pox) Immunizations
- Financial Statement indicating sources of support (Look in Visa Information below)
- Health Insurance (Look in Additional Requirements below)
- Photocopies of entire I-20 (if transferring from within the U.S.), I-94, Passport and VISA booklet
Postal Service Delivery Address:College of Graduate Studies
MTSU BOX 42
Murfreesboro, TN 37132
Courier/Express Delivery:College of Graduate Studies
Middle Tennessee State University
2269 Middle Tennessee Blvd.
Murfreesboro, TN 37132 USA
Attn: International Graduate Student Admission
New Application Change Application
International Merit Scholarship
- Any first-year or transfer student who applies to the university is considered for one of our highly competitive awards.
- All complete files are automatically considered for MTSU International Merit Scholarships for $4,000, $8,000 or $16,000.
- All complete files are automatically considered for the International Merit Scholarship.
The scholarship is entirely GPA based in the amounts of:
- $4,000 (3.25 – 3.49 GPA)
- $8,000 (3.5 – 3.74 GPA)
- $16,000 (3.75 – 4.0 GPA)
- The scholarships are renewable annually with a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA. Priority deadline for the scholarship is May 1st (Fall) and November 1st (Spring).
- Contact your academic department to learn about assistantship vacancies
- Learn more about assistantships and complete the student application for assistantships.
After gaining admission to a graduate program, international students who would attend MTSU with an F1 student visa must receive an I-20 document from MTSU. Students who need to apply for a new visa in their home country must present this document at the local consular office, during a visa interview. Students transferring from another university in the US, or MTSU undergraduate students continuing to an MTSU graduate program, must have a new I-20 indicating they are pursuing graduate study at MTSU. Below is a list of documents newly-admitted students must submit in order to receive an I-20 from MTSU.
*The last days MTSU can issue initial I-20s for students outside the US without F1 visa status are:
- July 1 for fall admission
- November 1 for spring admission
Proof of Funding for One Full Year
Students must provide documentation showing proof of funding for the first academic year of study. Examples of acceptable documentation include bank statements, letters from financial institutions, and scholarship award letters. Documentation must mention the student's or sponsor's name. Account balances must be dated no more than 8 months before first day of classes for the student's first term. Students must submit the financial statement form. Download the financial statement form.
- For graduate students, please provide $36,500 (less any academic scholarship or funding awarded).
The estimated value of any scholarships or graduate assistantships will be applied to the proof of funding required for the I-20. For example, the estimated value of an assistantship-the tuition waiver and stipend payments-would reduce the proof of funding a student must show on a bank statement.
|Extra for spouse||$5000.00|
|Extra for child||$2500.00|
* Living expenses include room & board, clothing, telephone, transportation, and recreation expenses. This is an average budget for students living in Murfreesboro. Actual tuition rates, fees, and living expenses may vary from this estimate.
Other required documents
- A clear, legible copy of the biographical page in your passport booklet. The passport must be valid until at least six months after the first day of classes for the semester you will begin study
- (Transfer and continuing MTSU undergraduate students only): A copy of the visa page in your passport booklet, showing issue and expiration date, along with the most recent visa stamp
- (Transfer and continuing MTSU undergraduate students only): a copy of pages 1-3 from your current I-20
- (Transfer and continuing MTSU undergraduate students only): Copies of the front and back of your I-94 card or I-94 information print out. Use www.cbp.gov/i94 to obtain this information.
Proof of MMR and Varicella vaccinations:
- There are two vaccinations each for MMR and Varicella. We require proof of the first doses before issuing an I-20.
- For each dose, the vaccines must be taken on the same day. For example, you should get the first MMR vaccine on the same day as the first varicella vaccine (and then receive the second doses of both vaccines at a later date, on the same day, at least 28 days later).
- The second dose of both vaccines is required before classes start. You will not be allowed to enroll in class full-time until proof of the second immunization doses is submitted to Student Health Services. Full-time enrollment is required to maintain F1 visa status.
- Present a certificate of immunization form. Download the form.
Below are additional health-related requirements that can affect your visa status.
- Students must complete and submit a tuberculosis screening form.
- Additional x-rays or testing may be required.
- If additional testing is required, the student must complete testing by the first day of classes or her/his class schedule will be purged.
- Download the Tuberculosis form.
- Students under age 22 who plan to live in on-campus housing must submit proof of one dose of meningococcal vaccine given on or after the sixteenth birthday
- Students must provide proof of immunization before moving in to on-campus housing
- Download the Meningitis Immunization form.
- All F1 and J1 visa holders are required to show proof of insurance showing a minimum of $30,000 medical evacuation expenses being covered as well as a minimum of $30,000 repatriation expenses being covered.
- Insurance coverage for students and their dependents is available through Lewermark.
Who do I ask for help?
Questions about academic programs: your Graduate Program Director or Advisor
Questions about immigration: InternationalStudentScholarServices@mtsu.edu
Questions regarding admission or the international merit scholarship: email@example.com
Questions regarding filing degree plans, advancement to candidacy forms, intent to graduate forms: firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions about theses or dissertations: email@example.com