Nutrition and Food Science, B.S.
The Nutrition and Food Science major in MTSU's Department of Human Sciences is designed to train students to apply the science of human nutrition and the art and skills of food preparation to improve health of their clients. The major offers three options:
- This option is an accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics, the first step required to become a registered dietitian. MTSU’s program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND).
- Family and Consumer Sciences Community Education
- The major in Nutrition and Food Science with a concentration in Family and Consumer Sciences Community Education is designed to prepare students to work in extension service, business, consumer services, and government agencies.
- Food Industry
- This option prepares students to work for food processors, government agencies, non-government organizations, or pursue graduate studies in food science.
- Nutrition and Wellness
- With the increased awareness of the role that nutrition has on wellness, this option prepares students to work with people of all ages, cultures, and economic means, in individual and group settings, to select foods that will promote healthy body weights and adequate nutrition throughout their life cycles.
In the spirit of sharing information related to the program's performance with the public, the following data is provided
- Fall Enrollment over Time
- New Freshmen Fall-to-Fall Retention
- Undergraduate Fall-to-Fall Retention
- 4-, 6-, and 8-year Graduation Rates
- Degrees Awarded by Academic Year
- Time to Degree
- Total Credit Hours Required for Degree: 120
- Total Time to Graduate (14-17 Credit Hours Each Term): 8 Semesters or 4 years (if
attending only fall and spring terms)
*The time to graduation is for students beginning the program with no prior college credit.
- Nutrition and Food Science, B.S., Academic Map
- Nutrition and Food Science, Dietetics, B.S., Academic Map
- Nutrition and Food Science, Family and Consumer Science Community Education, B.S., Academic Map
- Nutrition and Food Science, Family and Consumer Science Secondary Education, B.S., Academic Map
- Nutrition and Food Science, Food Industry, B.S., Academic Map
- Nutrition and Food Science, Nutrition and Wellness, B.S., Academic Map
- Graduating Senior Survey
- Additional Information
- Student Achievement Data