Instructional Enhancement Grants
Tenured or tenure-track faculty members are invited to apply for Instructional Enhancement grants. Applications will be accepted by noon on the following deadlines:
- September 16, 2022
- October 21, 2022
- February 17, 2023
- March 17, 2023 (if funding is available)
Applications (fillable pdf), including proposal, budget, supporting materials (if applicable), and signatures, must be scanned and sent AS ONE COMPLETE DOCUMENT to firstname.lastname@example.org by the submission deadline dates.
Grants awarded last year averaged $1900 and successful grants included departmental contributions or matching funds. Payment authorizations and claims for reimbursement must be routed through the Office of the University Provost (Cheryl.Torsney@mtsu.edu and Angie.Price@mtsu.edu) for approval.
At the completion of the project, grantees must submit a final report to the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs (Cheryl.Torsney@mtsu.edu) and indicate whether any funds remain in the account. Submission of a final report is a prerequisite to consideration for subsequent grants.
The Instructional Enhancement Committee awards grants for projects related to curriculum development, assessment, and improvement of instructional effectiveness.
More specifically, funding is limited to proposals that engage in one or more of the following activities:
- Support significant change to existing courses;
- Have the potential of reaching large number of students;
- Offer a more flexible approach to instruction that is better adapted to individual capacities and needs of students;
- Enable the applicant to revise, update, and implement materials for an existing course;
- Allow the applicant to develop new course materials to improve classroom instruction;
- Expand and improve instructor skills and knowledge related to student evaluation, testing, and grading; or
- Assess the effectiveness of a specific course or program.
An applicant must clearly specify how the proposed project will meet the requirements outlined above.
- Grant funds are not designed to supplement departmental budgets for routine instructional activities nor may they be used to fund student salaries. Equipment will be funded only if it is an essential component of a larger plan of instructional improvement or evaluation.
- The Instructional Enhancement Grant Committee will award grants, subject to approval by the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs.
- If possible, funding should be used within the current fiscal year. Faculty carry-over funding may not be approved for the next year’s budget.
- Salaries for teaching summer courses or release time will be funded only if they are essential components of a larger plan of instructional improvement or evaluation.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have not received funds from this committee within the past two years.
- Department funding must be itemized and specific to this project.
- An Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval letter should be submitted with the application where appropriate.
- If the funded project results in publication, support by the IEDC should be acknowledged in that publication as follows: “Financial support was provided by the Instructional Enhancement Committee of Middle Tennessee State University.”
For more information, please contact Angie Price, Office of the University Provost, (615) 898-5941 or Angie.Price@mtsu.edu.