Travel Support for Undergraduate Research
The Undergraduate Research Center strives to support students in dissemination of their research. Undergraduates who have recieved a URECA grant and are accepted to present their research at a regional, state, national, or international conference are eligible to receive travel funding.
- URC travel funding is limited to students who have received a URECA grant.
- MTSU Graduate Students who have graduated are eligible for funding for up to 6 months after graduation if the research they are presenting was conducted as an undergraduate at MTSU. Applications must provide information on other potential funding sources. Awarded travel funds are payable on a reimbursement basis only.
- Current URECA Students: $400 yearly maximum for domestic travel and $500 yearly maximum for international travel. Awarded travel funds are payable on a reimbursement basis only for assistance with lodging, travel, and registration fees. MEALS and other expenses are not covered. All applications must include at least one other source of funding (i.e. departmental support, academic college, Honors college, etc.) to ensure all costs are shared by the URC and other sources. Requests for funding for student groups must ensure some funding is provided by sources other than the URC.
- $400 yearly maximum for domestic travel and $500 yearly maximum for international travel.
- Awarded travel funds are payable on a reimbursable basis only.
Application Process (Prior to travel)
- To apply for these funds, you need to complete two forms:
- URC Travel Application with signatures and documentation of invitation to present AND
- Travel Authorization Form (not required for travel within the state of Tennessee) with signatures and documentation of estimated expenses. Prior to filling out this form, please email Katie Medrano at Katie.Medrano@mtsu.edu for information needed to complete the form.
- You will be notified within a few days after submission if your request has been approved.
- For domestic travel, the forms need to be turned in at least 30 days in advance; for international travel, at least 60 days in advance
Reimbursement Process (Post travel)
- Upon returning from travel, you need to complete the following forms::
- URC Travel Spotlight form. NEW for 2023-24. All students recieving travel funding are now required to complete this form. As soon as this form is submitted, we will sign off on your travel claim form.
- Travel Claim Form Within 30 days upon your return, please fill out this form and attach all original receipts. Your reimbursement will be processed as soon as the form is signed by all parties, usually 2-4 weeks after travel. *Note* Please put the following as approvers on your travel claim form: Jamie Burriss , Jamie.Burriss@mtsu.edu and Katie Medrano , Katie.Medrano@mtsu.edu.