Global Studies and Human Geography
Explore global forces, cultures & change. Global Studies grads thrive in diverse careers, grad studies & international roles.
Global Studies and Human Geography, Global Studies Concentration, B.S.
The Global Studies Concentration is designed for students who wish to explore the world's peoples, cultures, and countries while developing the skills needed to work and thrive in the modern world. The focus is on how globalization is changing societies, their cultures and attitudes, politics, and economics. The effects of rapid globalization are reshaping most fields, from health care to business and logistics, from music to food security. Global Studies prepare students to succeed in this changing world.
The Global Studies Concentration is unique in several ways:
- All GS students go abroad at least once; an international experience is integrated into the curriculum. In recent years, GS students have studied abroad in over 30 different countries.
- GS is designed to be interdisciplinary. Students complete a core of courses in Global Studies, but then choose 20% to 40% of their courses from other departments across campus.
- Global Studies examines the relationships among culture, politics, economics, business, and so on, and students select courses from these different areas to round out their program. students student select one of seven World Regional Minors to develop area expertise. They choose a minor from among Asian Studies, African Studies, Jewish and Holocaust Studies, Latin American Studies, Middle East Studies, Modern European Studies, and Russian Studies.
Courses in the Global Studies incorporate many experiential activities. These allow students to directly interact with practitioners in the field and groups representing culture groups and organization in the region. Between these experience and their time abroad, students develop proven abilities to work in globalized professions and with a network of professional connections.
The Global Studies concentration thus provides students with a systematic awareness of the global forces and processes directly transforming contemporary societies and individuals. Global Studies students graduate with the tools to pursue specialized graduate work, professional service, and careers in public and private sectors-here and abroad. Many GS graduates work abroad with non-profits, multi-national corporations, and in international education.
Global Studies and Human Geography Careers
The study of Global Studies and Human Geography opens many doors. Students develop transferable work skills that are highly valued by employers, including analysis, research, writing, problem solving, and, especially, knowledge of other cultures and languages.
Global Studies and Human Geography students are well prepared to move into professional careers. All students in the Global Studies concentration go abroad at least once and have a proven ability to thrive and succeed in a cross-cultural, globalized environment, and all students in the Human Geography concentration complete an internship and a series of professional skills courses.
Typical Career Paths
Global Studies students graduate with skills valued by employers with global reach, and a majority move into:
- The non-profit sector, working in executive positions in domestic or global organizations dealing with a wide range of issues, including human trafficking, political refugees, migration, development, and trade.
- The for-profit sector, working both domestically and around the world for businesses with international operations.
- International education, teaching abroad.
- Graduate school.
Human Geography students graduate with skills that apply across multiple sectors, but valued a majority move into:
- City and regional planning, working with consulting firms or government agencies.
- The non-profit sector, working in executive positions across a wide range of domestic or global organizations dealing with migration, development, medical geography, and more.
- The parks and tourism industry.
- Graduate school.
For more information, read Building a Career in Global Studies and Human Geography.
Employers of MTSU alumni include
- SALT International
- Foreign Service
- Multinational corporations
- Peace Corps
- Nonprofit organizations
- Service agencies
- International education
Please fill in the form below and we will contact you very soon