Program Candidacy Information
All MTSU program majors and minors can be found in the catalog.
College of Liberal Arts
- Music & Dance: Audition required
- Graphic Design: Portfolio review 5th semester
- Global Studies: Study Abroad
- Secondary Education minor: Admission to Teacher Education (EESE 1010 and 1011 not required) with majors in Art, English, Foreign Languages, Human Geography, History, Music, Political Science, and Theatre
- Theatre: For guaranteed admission, must have C or better in all candidacy courses, 30 completed hours of coursework with minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
College of Education
All majors require Teacher Education Program candidacy and are not competitive.
- 45 credit hours and a 2.75 Inclusive GPA
- Satisfactory test scores (Core Academic Skills for Educators tests or ACT Composite 22/SAT 1080)
- Passed minimum grades for EESE 2010 and 2011 (or transfer equivalent)
- Cleared background check and judiciary review upon application review
- 3 professional recommendations
College of Media and Entertainment
All majors and concentrations in the departments of Recording Industry (RIM) & Media Arts (formerly EMC) require candidacy:
- RIM: Competitive and is based upon a candidacy formula; Grade C or better is required in all pre-candidacy courses; a guaranteed candidacy score of 3.5 for Audio Production and 35.5 for Music Business & Commercial Songwriting. Additional students admitted if there is availability.
- Media Arts: Not competitive (with the exception of Animation). Students must have a 2.67 or 3.0 or higher GPA and a C or B- (or better) in all pre-candidacy courses depending on the specific major.
- Animation: Students must have a 2.75 or higher pre-candidacy GPA, a C or better in all pre-candidacy courses, and a portfolio review; guaranteed candidacy score of 90. Additional students admitted if there is availability.
All majors require candidacy and are not competitive.
- Pass required courses with a 2.25 GPA min.
- BBA & BS Majors: Requires 2.25 Inclusive GPA
- Business Education—Non-Teaching, Corporate Communication and Technology: Requires 2.0 Inclusive GPA
- Business Minors: Must complete a coursework application form before taking any business courses
Very competitive; conditions are program specific.
College of Behavioral and Health Sciences
- Athletic Training: Requires observations, interview, 2.5 GPA, and B- or better in required courses
- Interior Design: 2.5 GPA and C or better in required courses
- Nursing: Very competitive. 3.0 GPA, 75 score on all HESI exam areas, and B or better in required courses, C or better in general education courses. Informational sessions are every 1st Friday
- Industrial/Organizational Psychology: 2.0 GPA, pre-approved minor
- Psychology: Must maintain 2.0 GPA
- Social Work: Must maintain 2.0 GPA and submit application
- Secondary Education Minor: Admission to Teacher Education (EESE 1010 and 1011 not required, only 2 recommendations required) with majors in Community & Public Health Education, Family & Consumer Studies/Family and Consumer Sciences Education
- Textiles, Merchandising, and Design Apparel: 2.5 GPA, C or better in required courses
College of Basic and Applied Sciences
- Aerospace: Capstone course or internship required
- Aerospace Pilot: Must complete several certificate trainings and flight time
- Aerospace, Unmanned Aircraft Systems: Must complete Private Pilot certification
- MTeach Secondary Education minor : Admission to Teacher Education with majors in Math, Physics, and Science concentrations
- Animal Science and Agricultural Education Certification, Secondary Education: Admission to Teacher Education requirements (EESE 1010 and 1011 not required)
If you see anything on this site that needs editing, updating, or have suggestions for additions, please email Erin.Arnold@mtsu.edu.