Skip to main content

How to Apply

Eligibility Verification for Entitlements Act (EVEA)

The Tennessee Eligibility Verification for Entitlements Act (EVEA) became effective on October 1, 2012. EVEA requires MTSU to verify that persons seeking a state public benefit* are either a United States citizen or lawfully present in the United States. For many students, no additional action is needed for EVEA because it is automatically satisfied when completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Instructions on how to complete the FAFSA can be found on our Financial Aid website.

Submit a copy of one (1) of the following documents:

  • Valid regular Tennessee (TN) driver license/ID (The following are not acceptable: Temporary TN Driver License/ID or Out of State License)
  • An official birth certificate issued by a U.S. state, jurisdiction, or territory; except for Puerto Rican birth certificates issued before July 1, 2010
  • An official certified birth certificate issued by the U.S. government, including a U.S. certificate of birth abroad (DS-1350 or FS-545), and a reprint of a birth abroad of a citizen of the U.S. (FS-240)
  • A valid, unexpired U.S. passport
  • A valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) with photo
  • A certificate of citizenship (N560 or N561)
  • A certificate of naturalization (N550, N570, or N578)
  • U.S. citizen identification card (I-197, I-179)
  • Valid, unexpired Foreign Passport with visa stamped “Processed for I-551”
  • Non-Resident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card
  • Permanent Resident Re-entry Permit (I-327)
  • Refugee Travel Document (I-571)
  • Valid, unexpired Foreign Passport with valid visa in a category that permits study at an institution of higher education
  • Any other document determined by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to be acceptable through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) program created pursuant to the federal Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.

Students who cannot verify their citizenship using the options above must verify with two (2) forms of documentation.

A valid, government issued photo ID including a regular driver license, temporary driver license, or ID card from any U.S. state or an Employment Authorization Document (Form I-766)

Plus one (1) of the following documents:

  • Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) without photo
  • Arrival/Departure Record (Form I-94)
  • Notice of Approval of Status with bottom I-94 portion attached (Form 1-797)

*The term “state public benefit” includes in-state tuition, lottery scholarship, academic scholarship, common market, or any other form of tuition assistance or waiver funded with state-appropriated dollars. State benefit does not include tuition assistance funded privately, such as a scholarship from the institution’s foundation or a privately endowed scholarship.

(click here for detailed step by step instructions)

Graduate students upload your documentation here using your MTMail/PipelineMT credentials.

Register for Undergraduate Admissions Virtual Events

Contact Admissions

E-mail | [email protected]
Phone | 615-898-2111

Ask Admissions

Student Services & Admissions Center, Room 120
1301 E. Main St.
Murfreesboro, TN 37132