Take a leading role in food, chemical, pharmaceutical, and water treatment industries. Advance with specialized skills.
Professional Science, Fermentation Science Concentration, M.S.
The Fermentation Science concentration in the Master of Science in Professional Science degree emphasizes the skills and experience that will prepare the next generation of professionals for the broad range of industries that employ fermentation to create end products, including the food, chemical, pharmaceutical, and water treatment industries. Through the curriculum of core business classes, the graduate is better prepared to assume management and leadership roles within any industry utilizing fermentation.
In addition to developing advanced skills and knowledge related to fermentation, the graduate also develops managerial, communication, and leadership skills designed to facilitate an effective working team and structure. Business core classes prepare students for professional careers 36 credit hours total, including a capstone internship Professional Internship which takes the place of a thesis.
If you major in Fermentation Science and live in AL, LA, KY, or SC, you may attend MTSU at in-state rates under the Academic Common Market program. If you live in AR, DE, GA, MD, MS, OK, VA, or WV, you may apply to do the same.
Careers in Fermentation Science include the production of food products (e.g. dairy foods such as yogurt and cheese, pepperoni, pastrami, salami, kimchi, sauerkraut, bread) as well as medications, industrial chemicals, flavor and aroma compounds, and water treatment. Every country in the world utilizes fermentation and jobs are available worldwide.
The range of careers available to you with an MSPS degree in Fermentation Science is literally as broad as the world. Every country and every culture in the World utilizes fermentation to survive, so you can choose where you want to live as well as what you want to do when you get there. Your advantage, once you complete this degree, is that most people aren't even aware these career opportunities exist! In addition, if you get tired of working in one industry, your education and experience will allow you to shift into an alternative industry with ease. The science of fermentation is consistent across all careers. Examples of industries you will be trained to enter include:
- Fermented food production, including cheese, yogurt, sour cream, and all fermented dairy products; sauerkraut, kimchi, and other fermented vegetable products; beer,distilled spirits, and wine; bread, vinegar, pepperoni, pastrami and salami
- Industrial chemical production
- Industrial ethanol production (e.g. for addition to gasoline)
- Pharmaceutical production
- Probiotic production
- Wastewater processing
Employers of MTSU Fermentation Science graduates include (to date):
- Brown-Foreman Corporation (Jack Daniel's® and many other well-known brands, TN)
- Lonza Pharmaceuticals (OR)
- Biltmore Winery (NC)
- Common John Brewery (TN)
- Southern Distilling (NC)
- Lallemand Baking Division (TN)
The Fermentation Science master's program at MTSU, a concentration in Professional Science, emphasizes the skills and experience that will prepare the next generation of professionals for the broad range of industries that employ fermentation to create end products, including the food, chemical, pharmaceutical, and water treatment industries.
- Covers applied fermentation of specific types of food as well as the production of probiotics, bioprocessing, sensory evaluation, and food and industrial microbiology
- Business core classes prepare students for professional careers
- 36 credit hours total, including a capstone internship
- Professional Internship takes place of thesis
Please fill in the form below and we will contact you very soon