MTSU will collect and may share personally identifying information and other data (including but not limited to your photo and IP address) about you with MTSU offices, as well as federal financial aid agencies and the United States Department of State (including the Department of Homeland Security).
Examples of MTSU Departments
- Business Office
- Financial Aid Office
- University’s alumni office
- Student Health Services
- Counseling and Testing Services
- Campus Pharmacy
- Disability & Access Center
- Lightning Job Source/Career Development
- Child Care Lab
- CUSTOMS/new student orientation
Examples of Data Collected
Students / Student Applicants
- Mailing and current address
- Phone number
- Social Security Number
- Make, model, and license plate number of vehicle (if you own a car and plan to park on campus)
- Family income
- Citizenship status
- Years lived in the US
- Whether you intend to apply for need or merit based financial aid
- Academic major and interests
- Legal Guardian name, email, and address (if applicable)
- Extracurricular activities
- Work experience
Employees / Employee Applicants
- Past employment
- Past and current addresses
- Educational background and degrees/certificates earned
- Social Security number
- Signature acknowledgment
Student information is protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974. We will not disclose student information without your written consent, except in cases where we are required to do so by order of the court, police, or other government agency for public health, homeland security, investigatory purposes, or other exceptions provided under FERPA.
We do not sell your information to third parties, but we may release your information to outside vendors who partner with us to provide services to our students or employees. In addition, certain personally identifiable information is available in public sources (e.g. campus directory). Directory information for students that is available to the public includes first and last name, address, work telephone number, email address, and general education credentials. Directory information for students and information about employees is also available to the public via the Tennessee Open Records Act.
If you have a concern about the information we collect, please contact the Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. Additionally, employees may also contact MTSU’s Human Resource Services office.
You have the right to withdraw your consent or to opt out of our data collection processes at any time.