Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Training
Registration for the 2016-2017 Advanced EMT class is now open. Admission requirements for this class are below.
The next EMT [Basic] class will begin in July, 2016. Registration will open in mid-May.
The registration link for the Advanced EMT class can be found at: https://www.onlineregistrationcenter.com/register/222/page1.asp?m=203&c=34572
Due to the 2013 restructuring of Emergency Medical Services in the state of Tennessee, the EMT program at MTSU will now consist of two courses, a Basic EMT course and an Advanced EMT course. The Basic EMT course will take approximately 7 months to complete. A short break will then ensue to give the students who successfully finished to take and pass the National Registry exam. Proof of passing the National Registry exam must be furnished before starting the Advanced EMT course.
Due to the limited number of slots in the classes, seats are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Full payment is due at the time of registration. Payment by credit/debit card is advised. Payment by check must be received within 5 business days of registration or your registration will be purged.
The Advanced EMT class will meet on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from June 7th until mid-October. On lecture nights, the class will meet from 6pm-9pm. On skills practical nights, the class will meet from 6pm-10pm.
Classes will be held in the training room of MTSU’s University College at 503 East Bell Street in Murfreesboro.
The registration fee for the Advanced EMT class is $1249.00
This includes tuition, books, and liability insurance. Uniforms, drug screen, background checks, etc. are NOT covered and will be the responsibility of the student, but should not be purchased prior to the first meeting of class.
Full payment is due at the time of registration. There are no split payments, partial payments, or deferred payment options.
Admission requirements for this class are:
- Successful completion of an MTSU EMT course within the previous 120 days and a passing score on the NREMT exam; OR
- Currently hold an EMT license, obtain a passing score on a written exam administered by MTSU personnel AND successfully demonstrate knowledge of practical skills as evaluated by MTSU-appointed personnel; OR
- Successful completion of a State approved EMT course within the previous 120 days and a passing score on the NREMT exam with successful completion of the MTSU AEMT placement test and practical.
- Must be 18 years or older;
- Must have an academic high school diploma or GED certificate; specialized education or Certificates of Attendance are NOT acceptable;
- Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language;
- Must submit two (2) letters of Good Moral Character from a medical professional (MD, DO, NP, PA, Paramedic or higher);
- Must present a Medical Statement (PH-0130) as proof of medical fitness;
- Must have no history within the past three years of habitual intoxication or personal misuse of any drugs or the use of intoxicating liquors, narcotics, controlled substances, or other drugs or stimulants in such manner as to adversely affect the person's ability to practice as an emergency medical technician;
- Must present proof of MMR Vaccination;
- Must present documentation of Varicella Zoster immunizations (2) or positive titer;
- Must present proof of a negative TB skin test or negative chest x-ray.
This class is eligible for Montgomery GI Bill veteran's benefits. However, you must pay for the class at the time of registration and then be reimbursed by your veteran's benefits.
To request information for the next EMT [Basic] class please complete the form found