Strategic Leadership, M.P.S.
Looking for a flexible graduate program to increase income and promotion opportunities, fulfill professional development needs, and add marketable skills to your resume? MTSU’s Strategic Leadership concentration, leading to a Master of Professional Studies (M.P.S.) degree, allows working professionals to earn an advanced degree through 24/7 online coursework. The leadership function is the single greatest contributor to the overall success of any organization. Leadership impacts all areas of operation and requires that a leader be well versed in many areas. The Strategic Leadership master’s program examines various subject areas including leadership theory, research/data analysis, organizational structure and change, communication, and strategic planning and assessment. The 30-hour interdisciplinary program culminates with a professional project and is typically related to the student's professional work.
M.P.S. helps hone leadership skills while working
Emily Curtis moved into an administration consultant role with a nonprofit organization after earning her Master of Professional Studies in the Strategic Leadership concentration in December 2013. She received a promotion once she started the program, becoming assistant registrar at MTSU and serving on various committees and project teams. “The M.P.S. program enriched my career not only because it gave me a graduate-level education, which opened doors of opportunity, but it also gave me leadership and organizational tools to use in my profession,” she says. Curtis chose MTSU’s program because it allowed her to further her education while also pursuing a career. She also worked full time when she graduated from Bryan College with a Bachelor of Business Administration degree in 2007. Curtis began her professional career in higher education in 2005. “Many leadership concepts are learned after years of experience, but this program allowed me to learn those concepts and identify them early in my career,” she says.
Alum learns about leadership, earns promotion with master’s
H. Gerald Grimes was promoted to building services director at MTSU six months after earning his Strategic Leadership M.P.S. online in December 2014. His mentor, Gerald Caudill, who retired from the position, encouraged Grimes to complete his undergraduate degree and then the master’s. Grimes’ department is responsible for making sure lighting and utilities function well in classrooms in all academic buildings. They also assist other University groups such as energy services, residential life, and agribusiness. He worked in construction during his undergraduate days at MTSU and then returned as a maintenance technician in 1999. Grimes finished his bachelor’s in 2004 before moving up. The Strategic Leadership M.P.S. program broadened his view of managing people. “I learned to find ways that you can support your staff so that they improve not only professionally but also personally. They can catch that enthusiasm to improve,” Grimes says. “It creates a perpetual snowball that can spur you on to be better, which in turn puts those energies back into your staff.”
The Strategic Leadership master’s degree is intended to help with career advancement for working professionals seeking to improve organizational leadership, planning, communication, conflict management, and other areas of leadership. Some possible professional opportunities for degree-holders
- Business owner
- Company executive
- Team leader
Employers of MTSU alumni include
- Dyersburg State Community College
- Middle Tennessee State University
- Rutherford County Sheriff’s Office
- Tennessee Department of Corrections
- Tennessee General Assembly
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- Y-12 National Security Complex
MTSU offers the Master of Professional Studies (M.P.S.), an online program designed for working professionals, with three concentrations available: Human Resources Leadership, Strategic Leadership, and Training and Development.
Each M.P.S. program consists of 12 hours of core requirements, 15 hours related directly to the concentration, and a 3-hour culminating professional project.
Applicants must have the following:
- an earned bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college
- an acceptable grade point average (GPA) in all college work taken (at least 2.75 for unconditional admission)
- completion of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) with acceptable scores (generally at least 146 verbal, 144 quantitative, and 4.0 on analytical writing), OR a non-GRE option is available for those with a 2.75 GPA or higher and five (5) years of professional full-time work experience requiring the submission of a portfolio of works.
- competency in word processing, library retrieval systems, presentation graphics, spreadsheets, and databases (Students must be computer literate—using email, posting discussions, using chat, web page navigation, uploading attachments, etc.—as well as have excellent time management skills in order to be successful in the online course environment.)
- regular access to a computer and reliable Internet connection
Applicants who do not meet the criteria for unconditional admission may apply for as a non-degree seeking student and take up to 6 hours before officially applying to the program.
For complete curriculum details, click on the REQUIREMENTS tab above.
Professional Studies, Strategic Leadership Concentration, M.P.S.
Pamela D. Morris, Program Director
The University College offers the Master of Professional Studies (M.P.S.) with concentrations in Human Resources Leadership, Strategic Leadership, and Training and Development in conjunction with six Tennessee universities. For more information, contact Pamela.Morris@mtsu.edu, call (615) 898-5920, or visit www.mtsu.edu/mps.
Admission to the Master of Science in Professional Studies program requires
- an earned bachelor's degree from an accredited university or college;
- an acceptable grade point average (GPA) in all college work taken (at least 2.75 for unconditional admission);
- completion of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) with acceptable scores OR a portfolio of works for those with a 2.75 GPA or higher and five (5) years of professional full-time work experience;
- competency in word processing, library retrieval systems, presentation graphics, spreadsheets, and databases. Students must be computer literate (using email, posting discussions, using chat, webpage navigation, uploading attachments, etc.) as well as have excellent time management skills in order to be successful in the online course environment;
- regular access to a computer and reliable Internet connection. To view hardware and software requirements please go to tnecampus.info/d2l-hardware-and-software-requirements.
NOTE: Candidates for the Master of Professional Studies may enroll for one semester before being fully admitted to the program.
All application materials are to be submitted to the College of Graduate Studies.
- submit application with the appropriate application fee (online at www.mtsu.edu/graduate/apply.php);
- submit official transcripts from all collegiate institutions attended;
- submit three letters of reference;
- submit official scores on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). A composite GRE score of 291 (current scale) or 900 (former scale) is expected for consideration of unconditional admission. Applicants with a 2.75 GPA or higher and five (5) years of professional full-time work experience may submit a portfolio of works in place of a GRE score. Applicants who meet this requirement may inquire about the portfolio requirements by e-mailing Pamela.Morris@mtsu.edu or going to www.mtsu.edu/university-college/mps/portfolio.php.
- complete a minimum of 30 semester hours of graduate credit (see Curriculum section below for specifics);
- complete a professional project during the final semester of the program.
Curriculum: Professional Studies, Strategic Leadership
Candidate must complete 30 hours in the following course of study:
Core Courses (12 hours)
PRST 5510 - Using Teams to Facilitate Organizational Development
3 credit hours
Studies organizations as systems and how teams can help facilitate change in organizations.
- PRST 6100 - Professional Environment: Issues and Ethics 3 credit hours
PRST 6100 - Professional Environment: Issues and Ethics
3 credit hours
Introduces the discipline of ethics and values. Explores the various theories and practices that have led to, and continue to dominate the study of ethics and values in public service. Students will display their knowledge of ethics and values in various reading, writing, and oratorical assignments.
- PRST 6300 - Research Methods 3 credit hours
PRST 6300 - Research Methods
3 credit hours
Study and application of research methods appropriate to professional studies. Provides a general introduction to research methods as well as providing practical exposure to problem statements, literature reviews, writing the research proposal, and organizations of the research report. Quantitative and qualitative research methodologies briefly covered in preparation for later courses in these areas.
- PRST 6600 - Statistical Analysis 3 credit hours
PRST 6600 - Statistical Analysis
3 credit hours
Prerequisite: PRST 6300. Explores the fundamental principles that form the foundation of the scientific process. Ultimate goal is to enhance student's ability to effectively interpret and translate the results of research.
Strategic Leadership Concentration (15 hours)
Five courses must be completed, including at least one course from each of the four subject areas and one remaining course from the subject areas or optional electives.
- PRST 6500 - Foundations of Leadership 3 credit hours
- LDSP 6000 - Current Issues and Cases in Leadership 3 credit hours
- ELPA 6560 - Small Group Leadership 3 credit hours
Organizational Structure and Change
- PRST 6310 - Leadership in Organization 3 credit hours
- PRST 6800 - Organizational Skills and Development 3 credit hours
- COMM 6110 - Leadership and Communication 3 credit hours
- JOUR 6450 - Public Relations Management 3 credit hours
- PRST 6700 - Conflict Management and Negotiation 3 credit hours
Strategic Planning and Assessment
- PRST 6105 - Project Planning and Scheduling 3 credit hours
- PRST 6040 - Human Resources Management 3 credit hours
- PRST 6770 - Computer-based Decision Modeling 3 credit hours
PRST 6770 - Computer-based Decision Modeling
3 credit hours
Advanced techniques in quantitative methods. Modeling and optimization techniques. Computer applications emphasized.
Professional Project (3 or 4 hours)
- PRST 6998 - Professional Project 3 to 4 credit hours
PRST 6998 - Professional Project
3 to 4 credit hours
Capstone course for the Master of Professional Studies degree. The integrative culmination of the program of study.
PRST 6998 must be taken during the final semester of the program. Students should begin planning their projects when they enter the M.P.S. program. They should consult their advisors about appropriate topics and submit their proposals for approval prior to entering this course.
Students applying for EXL Scholar Designation should take PRST 6998 for 4 credit hours.
NOTE: The 5000 and 6000 levels numbering of courses for APSU/ETSU/TSU will be crosslisted with the 6000 levels used by MTSU and TTU and the 7000 levels numbering of courses used at UOM.
- file a degree plan in the College of Graduate Studies prior to entry into the program;
- file a Notice of Intent to Graduate form with the College of Graduate Studies within the first two weeks of the term in which candidate intends to graduate.
Since this degree program is supported by courses through the Tennessee e-Campus, faculty come from participating state universities.
- Admissions Checklist
- Conditional Admission
- Graduate Application
- GRE Alternative Portfolio
- GRE Information
Contact and Student Information
University College M.P.S. Program
Middle Tennessee State University
503 East Bell Street
Murfreesboro, TN 37130
College of Graduate Studies
Middle Tennessee State University
MTSU Box 42
1301 East Main Street
Murfreesboro, TN 37132
MTSU College of Graduate Studies
Provides innovative, interdisciplinary programs and allows students to work in a collaborative envir... [more]
MTSU Campus Tour
From the acclaimed academic programs and state-of-the-art facilities to MTSU campus life and our thr... [more]