On behalf of Middle Tennessee State University's Women's and Gender Studies Program,
I cordially invite you to participate in our 11th biennial conference: Global Discourses in Women's and Gender Studies, March 26-28, 2015.
Our conference theme reflects our interest in promoting feminist perspectives that
foreground the influence of global forces on women's and/or gendered existence and
in examining connections between local/national and global issues that relate to women's
and/or gendered existence. We welcome scholars, activists, non-profit professionals,
students, and others who engage issues of social justice, particularly those related
to women and gender.
The 2015 conference highlights gender and education and provides an opportunity for
participants to explore and critically analyze issues such as:
- Girls' access to education
- Educating boys
- Gender in STEM Education
- Bullying and homophobia in schools
- Education and development
- Transnational feminist activism and pedagogies of empowerment
We aim to make this conference a very satisfying experience for all participants;
consequently, we offer the following:
- Very reasonable conference costs. (Please see registration information.)
- Single panel per session conference format. This format provides the opportunity for larger audiences at sessions, substantive
audience engagement with material presented, and sustained exchange of ideas among
presenters and conference participants. This format also promotes interaction among
conference participants that can contribute to a positive conference experience.
- Professional development workshop. This workshop is free and open to all registered participants.
- Film screening and discussion.
We hope you will seriously consider attending the conference. We strive to make our
conference a safe and comfortable space for sharing perspectives, ideas, and experiences.
Please feel free to email or call us if you have any questions.
Newtona (Tina) Johnson
Director, Women's and Gender Studies Program