Military Science Alumni Chapter Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, Tennessee,
Greetings Military Science Alumni Chapter Members,
Always great to share what the Military Science Department, the University, and mostly what our great Cadets are doing.
Your alumni chapter supports ROTC Cadets on their journey to commissioning as Army Officers. We work with the MTSU Advancement Office and chapter members to update our records so we can reach our 1,500+ MSAC members. Please share this newsletter with other MSAC members so we can maintain contact.
In March 2021, the MSAC Alumni Capstone Fund provided the Military Science Department with $2,162 to purchase "Smokeless Range" rifle simulators to increase the number of Cadets able to train on the updated Basic Rifle Marksmanship that includes firing position transitions, as well as several magazine changes without pauses. Now more Cadets get to train on the same rifle qualification that they will see at Camp.
The University honored our 17th General Officer alumnus, BG Rob Powell, commissioned 1989, with a set of events on April 12, 2021: (1) Data Science student seminar, (2) commemorative brick ceremony at the MTSU Veterans Memorial, (3) ROTC General Officers Hall of Fame induction, and (4) addition to the MTSU General Officers plaque at the Charlie and Hazel Daniels Veterans and Military Family Center. These events also provided us with the opportunity to highlight 2020/21 academic year as the 70th year of Army ROTC at MTSU (e.g., three times ranked number one in the Nation). View the video at MTSU honors 17th General officer in 71-year history of university's Army ROTC [+VIDEO] - MTSU News.
During the April 22, 2021 Spring Awards Ceremony, MSAC provided awards and scholarships.
- MSAC Award for peer leadership: Cadet Kaleb Fanning
- ROTC Foundation Scholarships:
- Cadet Sebastien Kernisant
- Cadet Seth Pilgrim (his father is MSAC alumnus--Class of 1988)
- Cadet John Sharp
- Alumni General Officer Saber presented to Cadet Alexis Anderson, incoming Cadet Battalion Commander, by BG(R) David Ogg
The Military Science Department conducted the Spring Commissioning Ceremony on May 7, 2021, with 11 Cadets becoming Army Officers. COVID precautions limited attendance.
The next MSAC Annual Meeting is planned for Saturday, November 13, 2021 at the MTSU Army ROTC Building (Time TBD based on MTSU vs. FIU football kick off). We anticipate some form of Veterans recognition at the football game, but those plans are not settled as COVID precautions (e.g., limited attendance, masking, and social distancing) could remain in effect.
MSAC also installed a ROTC building plaque with all the names of the Virginia S. Austin Memorial Award recipients for their outstanding support to MSAC and the Military Science Department. We were proud to add Nancy Garner's name as our most recent recipient and remain grateful for her continuing support for MSAC as our secretary/treasurer.
MTSU ROTC Alumni Contact Information:
- MSAC Nominations for Hall of Fame or Virginia S. Austin Memorial Service Award: You can nominate deserving individuals using nominations forms at the ROTC Alumni Link: http://www.mtsu.edu/arotc1/alumni/index.php
- Our updated MSAC email address: email@example.com is open for information sharing.
- Keep your Email Up-to-Date: Please let Nancy Garner know any changes for your information at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, if you are on active duty, please email Nancy your branch, duty status and duty location to facilitate alumni mentoring for Officers by branch and location.
- Blue Raider Battalion's Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/blue.battalion. We’re looking into a specific Facebook page for the MSAC.
- MTSU ROTC Twitter: @MTSUROTC is used by the MSAC for meeting updates and newsletter notifications.
- KIAs: If you know of any Army ROTC alumnus that was killed-in-action, please submit their names by e-mail to Nancy Garner at email@example.com.
- Donations to Military Science Alumni Capstone Fund #91386 offer the greatest flexibility and benefit to the Military Science Department.
Thank you for your support to the MSAC, Cadets, and Cadre.
Let's all remain True Blue!
|Rickey E. Smith Doug Chaffin|
|MSAC President MSAC Vice-President|
|Senior Executive/Colonel USA (Retired) Lieutenant Colonel USA (Retired)|
|Class '78 Class '78|