Military Science Alumni Chapter, Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, Tennessee, October 2021
Greetings Blue Raider Military Science Alumni Chapter Members:
The MSAC Annual Meeting will be on November 13, 2021, at the MTSU Army ROTC Building. Time 1000 hrs. Mask and Social Distancing required for in person attendance. We will also have Zoom set up for virtual attendance.
MTSU "Salute to Veterans and Armed Services Day" on November 13, 2021, will highlight 70 years of the MTSU ROTC Department. Veterans attend pre-game picnic and game for free. Parking on campus is also free that day.
1000 hrs Annual Military Science Alumni meeting (ROTC Building)
1100 hrs Veterans' Memorial Service (Tom Jackson Building)
1200 hrs Pregame Picnic (Kennon Sports Hall of Fame lawn)
1300 hrs Dr. Joe Nunley Award (Kennon Sports Hall of Fame lawn)
1430 hrs Kick-off Middle Tennessee vs. Florida International University
The scoreboard will display photos showing ROTC Cadets from across the decades. If you have photos for potential display, please send as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Military Science Alumni and other veterans will receive on-field recognition during the game as well.
We will include ZOOM participation for the annual meeting available at 0945 hrs. The login information for the ZOOM meeting is below:
- Topic: Military Science Alumni Chapter Meeting
- Time: Nov 13, 2021 10:00 AM Central Time (US and Canada)
- Join Zoom Meeting
- Meeting ID: 846 6489 6595
- One tap mobile
- +16465588656, ,84664896595# US (New York) 13017158592,,84664896595# US
- +(Washington DC)
- Dial by your location
- +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
- +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
- +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
- +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
- +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
- +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
- Meeting ID: 846 6489 6595
- Find your local number: https://mtsu.zoom.us/u/kixl9Enr7
We continue to work with the MTSU Advancement Office to update our records so all of our members know what your MSAC, the Military Science Department, the University, and mostly what our great Cadets are doing. Please share this newsletter with other MSAC Alumni we may have missed.
MSAC Membership Dues: Remember to send in our membership dues to Nancy Garner at email@example.com to submit. The current dues system is: Lifetime Membership (scaled by age) 40-under: $350; 41-50: $300; 51-60: $250; 61-70: $150; 71-80: $125; 80-above: $100; OR Yearly Membership: Gold Hooah: $80; Silver Trooper: $40; Bronze Raider: $20.
MSAC Funds Update: The three funds where you can contribute to support our Cadets and Military Science Department are below. To contribute see the Online links at the end of the newsletter. Remember, all donations are 100% tax deductible.
--MSAC Alumni Capstone Fund: Current Amount: $10,998. This is a general-purpose fund used to support the priorities of the Military Science Department. This fund is under the direction and control of the Dean of the College of Basic and Applied Sciences with recommendations from the Military Science Department Chair and the MSAC President. Forms of contributions are donations from the MSAC, friends of the University, and others who wish to support the general needs of the Military Science Cadet Corps, Department and MTSU. MSAC Membership through the MSAC President has direct recommendation input into the use of these donations. Please consider shifting your donations from the already substantial ROTC Alumni Scholarship account to the Capstone account. If the scholarship mission increases, we will get back with you, but for now we have reached our scholarship goal.
--ROTC Alumni Scholarship: Current Principal: $155,557. This account is controlled by MTSU and influenced by the PMS. This funding amount is amazing, and more than enough to support the ROTC Department's desire to provide scholarships to deserving Cadets. Since 1999, MSAC has presented 38 Cadets with scholarships totaling $63,670.00.
--Alumni General Officer Award: Current Total: $1,368. These funds, controlled by MTSU and influenced by the PMS, are donated by the 13 currently living Alumni General Officers (total ROTC Alumni Generals is 17). The funds are specially directed for the purchase of an Officer/Military Dress Saber for presentation each year to the new MTSU Cadet Battalion Commander. The MSAC President will reach out to the Generals should funds be required and to new Generals as they are selected.
ALL ONLINE GIFTS: Click the below link to make a gift online for the: MSAC Capstone Account; ROTC Alumni Scholarship; or the Alumni General Officer Award Fund (General Officers only). Donations to Military Science Alumni Capstone Fund #91386 offer the greatest flexibility and benefit to the Military Science Department.
--Mail your donations/gift check check, payable to the MTSU Foundation to: MTSU Foundation, Wood-Stegall Center, P.O. Box 109, Murfreesboro, TN 37132.
MILITARY SCIENCE DEPARTMENT UPDATE:
- The Alumni General Officer Saber was presented to Cadet Alexis Anderson on April 22, 2021 at the annual Spring Awards Ceremony.
- The Fall Field Training Exercise (FTX) is October 21-24, 2021 at Fort Campbell, Kentucky.
- The Fall Commissioning Ceremony will be December 10, 2021, 10:00 a.m. at the Tom Jackson Building.
MTSU ROTC Alumni Link and Information:
- MSAC Hall of Fame Nomination or Virginia S. Austin Service Award: If you want to nominate a deserving individual, please use the Nomination Form at the ROTC Alumni Link: http://www.mtsu.edu/arotc1/alumni/index.php.
- Our updated MSAC email address: firstname.lastname@example.org is open for information sharing.
- Keep your Email Up to Date: Any changes or updates, let Nancy Garner know at email@example.com. Also, if you are on active duty, email Nancy and give her your branch, duty status and duty location. We're working on the mentorship program and our records in general.
- Blue Raider Battalion's Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/blue.battalion. We're looking into a specific Facebook page for the MSAC.
- MTSU ROTC Twitter: @MTSUROTC is used by the MSAC for meeting updates and newsletter notifications.
- KIAs: If you know of any Army ROTC alumnus that was killed-in-action, please submit their names by e-mail to Nancy Garner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for all your support to the MSAC and the ROTC Cadets and Cadre.
Rickey E. Smith Doug Chaffin
MSAC President MSAC Vice-President
Senior Executive/Colonel USA (Retired) Lieutenant Colonel (Retired)
Class '78 Class '78