Military Science Alumni Chapter Middle Tennessee State University Murfreesboro, Tennessee September 2019
Greetings Military Science Alumni Chapter Members,
I trust all had a great summer and I'm hoping all of you are doing well!!
I’m BG(R) David Ogg, Military Science Alumni Chapter (MSAC) President and on behalf of our new MSAC Vice-President Tom Hoover, and the Secretary/Treasurer Nancy Garner, we are honored to update you on your MSAC.
If this is your first MSAC newsletter, GREAT!! We continue to work with the MTSU Advancement Office to update our records so you know what your MSAC, the Military Science Department, the University and mostly what our great Cadets are doing.
So on with the updates and some requests!
The 2019 MSAC Annual Meeting will be on November 16th, in conjunction with MTSU's Salute to Veterans and Armed Services. The meeting will take place in the ROTC Building from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. The Salute will begin at 12:00 p.m. (Salute Agenda is provided below).
One major topic for this annual meeting is Election of New MSAC Board for 2019-2021: David Ogg, President and Tom Hoover, Vice-President, will NOT seek their current positions again. The membership will need to elect a new MSAC President and Vice-President at this annual meeting. Nancy Garner will remain as Secretary/Treasurer and needs to be re-elected in her current position.
ACTION REQUIRED: If you want to be nominated or nominate someone for any office, please make it known to me (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we'll present all names to the membership for consideration and election at the November 2019 annual meeting.
MTSU's "Salute to Veterans and Armed Services Day" and MT football game current time/activities:
- 12:00 p.m.: Memorial Service (Tom Jackson Building) Honoring the Medical Service
- 1:00 p.m.: Pre-game Picnic (Kennon Sports Athletics Hall of Fame front lawn)
- 1:15 p.m.: Raider Walk
- 2:00 p.m.: Dr. Joe Nunley Award Presentation (Kennon Sports Athletics Hall of Fame front lawn)
- 3:30 p.m.: MTSU vs. Rice
--MTSU ROTC Alumni Game Acknowledgement: With 10-12 minutes remaining on the 1st Quarter game clock ALL MTSU ROTC ALUMNI are requested to meet in the NW tunnel of Floyd Stadium. At the first time=out after the 10 minute mark we will walk onto the football field (stand on the nearest 20 yard line number). We'll then be announced/recognized to the audience. After, we'll be released to go back to our seats. It was very COOL last year so please plan to attend!
--HALFTIME: Veteran's Salute: All Vets walk across the football field. Alumni General Officers lead the Vets across mid-field.
- MSAC Hall of Fame: If you want to nominate a MSAC member, please use the Nomination form at the ROTC Alumni Link: http://www.mtsu.edu/arotc1/alumni/index.php
- MSAC Membership Dues: Remember to send in your membership dues to Nancy Garner, MTSU P.O. Box 52, Murfreesboro, TN 37132 or contact Nancy at email@example.com to submit. The current dues system is: Lifetime Membership (scaled by age) 40-under: $350; 41- 50: $300; 51-60: $250; 61-70: $150; 71-80: $125; 80-above: $100; OR Yearly Membership: Gold Hooah: $80; Silver Trooper: $40; Bronze Raider: $20.
- MSAC Funds Update: The three funds that anyone can contribute to in support of our Cadets and ROTC Department are below. To contribute see the Online links at the end of the newsletter. Remember, all donations are 100% tax deductible.
-- MSAC Alumni Capstone Fund: Current Amount: $8,990. This is a general purpose fund used to support the priorities of the Military Science Department. This fund is under the direction and control of the Dean of the College of Basic and Applied Sciences with recommendations from the Military Science Department Chair and the MSAC President. Forms of contributions are donations from the MSAC, friends of the university, and others who wish to support the general needs of the Military Science Cadet Corps, Department and MTSU. As mentioned the MSAC membership through the MSAC President has direct recommendation input into the use of these donations. Also, I would ask that you consider shifting your donations from the already substantial ROTC Alumni Scholarship account to this new Capstone account. If the scholarship mission increases then we'll get back with you but for now we believe we've reached our scholarship goal.
-- ROTC Alumni Scholarship: Current Principle: $122,847. This account is controlled by MTSU and influenced by the PMS. Your generous donations have funded three $1,000 ROTC Alumni Scholarships for the academic school year. This funding amount is amazing, and more than enough to support the ROTC Department's desire to provide scholarships to deserving Cadets.
-- Alumni General Officer Award: Current Total: $1,670. These funds, controlled by MTSU and influenced by the PMS, are donated by the 12 currently living Alumni General Officers (total ROTC Alumni Generals is 16). The funds are specifically directed for the purchase of an Officer/Military Dress Saber for presentation each year to the new MTSU Cadet Battalion Commander. The MSAC President will reach out to the Generals should funds be required and to new Generals as they are selected.
Military Science Department Upcoming Activities:
- The Fall FTX is October 18-20, 2019.
- The Fall 2019 Commissioning Ceremony is December 13, 2019.
- Spring Joint FTX with Tennessee Tech and Vanderbilt is March 27-29, 2020.
- The MS Department's Annual Spring Awards Ceremony is April 16, 2020. As MSAC President, I will present the Alumni Chapter's awards: MSAC MS IV Peer Award, the General Officer's Officer Saber to the new Cadet Battalion Commander (school year 2020-21) and ROTC Alumni Scholarships.
- The Spring 2020 Commissioning Ceremony is May 8, 2020.
MTSU ROTC Alumni Link & Information:
- Hall of Fame Nomination/Selection: See ROTC Alumni link below for Nomination form. ROTC Alumni Link: http://www.mtsu.edu/arotc1/alumni/index.php
- Keep your Email Up-to-Date: Any changes or updates let Nancy Garner know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
-- Also, if you are on active duty, email Nancy and give her your branch, duty status and duty location. We're working on the mentorship program and our records in general. Thanks!!
-- Check out the Blue Raider Battalion's Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/blue.battalion. We’re looking into a specific Facebook page for the MSAC.
- Online Gifts: Click the below link to make a gift online for the: MSAC Capstone Account; ROTC Alumni
Scholarship; or the Alumni General Officer Award Fund (General Officers only): https://securelb.imodules.com/s/1092/development/index.aspx?sid+1092&gid=1&pgid=978&cid=2264
-- Mail your donations/gift check, payable to the MTSU Foundation, to:
MTSU Foundation, Wood-Stegall Center, PO Box 109, Murfreesboro, TN 37132
Again, thank you for all your support to the MSAC and the Military Science/ROTC Cadets and the cadre.
See you on the objective!!!
R. David Ogg, Jr.
Thomas F. Hoover, Jr.