Military Science Alumni Chapter Middle Tennessee State University Murfreesboro, Tennessee March 2019
Greetings Military Science Alumni Chapter Members,
Spring has sprung and the Military Science Alumni chapter continues to "spring" forward!! And I'm hoping all of you are doing well!!
I’m BG(R) David Ogg, Military Science Alumni Chapter (MSAC) President and on behalf of our new MSAC Vice-President Tom Hoover, and the Secretary/Treasurer Nancy Garner, we are honored to update you on your MSAC.
If this is your first MSAC newsletter, GREAT!! We continue to work with the MTSU Advancement Office to update our records (your email address) so you know what your MSAC, the Military Science Department, the University and mostly what our great Cadets are doing.
So on with the updates and some requests!
MSAC Annual Meeting:
The 2018 MSAC Annual Meeting was held at the MTSU ROTC Building on November 2nd with 27 attendees which was great...thanks to all for attending. Here are some of the significant agenda items/actions:
- Election of New MSAC Board for 2019-2021...The membership was informed that new MSAC President and Vice President will need to be elected at the next annual meeting in November 2019. It was announced that David Ogg, President and Tom Hoover, Vice-President will NOT seek their current positions again. Nancy Garner will remain as Secretary/Treasurer and needs to be re-elected in her current position.
ACTION REQUIRED: If you want to be nominated or nominate someone for any office, please make it known to me (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we'll present all names to the membership for consideration and election at the November 2019 annual meeting.
- MSAC Hall of Fame: No nominations were submitted. If you want to nominate a MSAC member, please use the Nomination form at the ROTC Alumni Link: http://www.mtsu.edu/arotc1/alumni/index.php
- MSAC Membership Dues: Remember to send in your membership dues to Nancy Garner, MTSU P.O. Box 52, Murfreesboro, TN 37132 or contact Nancy at email@example.com to submit. The current dues system is: Lifetime Membership (scaled by age) 40-under: $350; 41- 50: $300; 51-60: $250; 61-70: $150; 71-80: $125; 80-above: $100; OR Yearly Membership: Gold Hooah: $80; Silver Trooper: $40; Bronze Raider: $20.
- MSAC Funds Update: The Annual Budget/Expense Report and the three funding accounts were presented. Information on each funding account is provided below. To contribute see the Online links at the end of the newsletter. Remember, all donations are 100% tax deductible.
-- MSAC Alumni Capstone Fund: This is a general purpose fund used to support the priorities of the Military Science Department. This fund is under the direction and control of the Dean of the College of Basic and Applied Sciences with recommendations from the Military Science Department Chair and the MSAC President. Forms of contributions are donations from the MSAC, friends of the university, and others who wish to support the general needs of the Military Science Cadet Corps, Department and MTSU. As mentioned the MSAC membership through the MSAC President has direct recommendation input into the use of these donations. Also, I would ask that you consider shifting your donations from the already substantial ROTC Alumni Scholarship account to this new Capstone account. If the scholarship mission increases then we'll get back with you but for now we believe we've reached our scholarship goal.
-- ROTC Alumni Scholarship: This account is controlled by MTSU and influenced by the PMS. Your generous donations will fund three $1,000 ROTC Alumni Scholarships for the academic school year. At this time this account has over $120K in principle and interest. This amount is amazing and more than enough to support the ROTC Department's desire to provide scholarships to deserving Cadets. The PMS has been asked to look at the account's interest amount and begin to distribute some funds in smaller amounts (i.e., $500) to desiring Cadets. This may be a windfall for some Cadets and is a credit to our membership for their generous contributions.
-- Alumni General Officer Award: These funds, controlled by MTSU and influenced by the PMS, are donated by the 12 currently living Alumni General Officers (total ROTC Alumni Generals is 16). The funds are specifically directed for the purchase of an Officer/Military Dress Saber for presentation each year to the new MTSU Cadet Battalion Commander. The MSAC President will reach out to the Generals should funds be required and to new Generals as they are selected.
Military Science Department Activities and Support Update:
- The MS Department's Annual Spring Awards Ceremony is April 16, 2019. As MSAC President, I will present the Alumni Chapter's awards: MSAC MS IV Peer Award, the General Officer's Officer Saber to the Cadet Battalion Commander (school year 2019-20) and three ROTC Alumni Scholarships.
- The MS Department's Commissioning Ceremony is May 3, 2019. Total of 19 commissionees: 7 Active Duty and 12 Reserve Duty.
Upcoming MSAC Events:
- The 2019 MSAC Annual Membership Meeting will be held on November 16, 2019 at Forrest Hall. Meeting time is TBD.
- This meeting will be held in conjunction with MTSU's Salute to Veterans and Armed Forces Day and football game.
MTSU ROTC Alumni Link & Information:
- Hall of Fame Nomination/Selection: See ROTC Alumni link below for Nomination form. ROTC Alumni Link: http://www.mtsu.edu/arotc1/alumni/index.php
- Keep your Email Up-to-Date: Any changes or updates let Nancy Garner know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
-- Also, if you are on active duty, email Nancy and give her your branch, duty status and duty location. We're working on the mentorship program and our records in general. Thanks!!
-- Check out the Blue Raider Battalion's Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/blue.battalion. We’re looking into a specific Facebook page for the MSAC.
- Online Gifts: Click the below link to make a gift online for the: MSAC Capstone Account; ROTC Alumni
Scholarship; or the Alumni General Officer Award Fund (General Officers only): https://securelb.imodules.com/s/1092/development/index.aspx?sid+1092&gid=1&pgid=978&cid=2264
-- Mail your donations/gift check, payable to the MTSU Foundation, to:
MTSU Foundation, Wood-Stegall Center, PO Box 109, Murfreesboro, TN 37132
Again, thank you for all your support to the MSAC and the Military Science/ROTC Cadets and the cadre.
See you on the objective!!!
R. David Ogg, Jr.
Thomas F. Hoover, Jr.