Welcome to Graduate Studies at MTSU!

This page contains information for domestic applicants. If you are an international applicant, please check out our International Admissions page for more information.


This site offers you links and information to aid you in becoming a graduate student at Middle Tennessee State University. If the information you seek is not provided, please contact us at askgrad@mtsu.edu or 615-898-2840. You can also check our Frequently Asked Questions page for answers to common questions.

Apply Now!


Admissions Requirements

The following requirements apply to application for most programs offered at Middle Tennessee State University:

  • Applicants with a minimum of a bachelor's degree may apply to the College of Graduate Studies. 
  • All applicants to the College of Graduate Studies must have an overall undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 (on a 4.00 scale) to be considered for unconditional admission.
  • Applicants who attended graduate school at another institution must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 on all graduate work and a minimum of 2.75 on all undergraduate work to be considered for unconditional admission.  
  • International students on an F1 visa must meet requirements for unconditional admission.

Please note: Individual programs may have higher admission requirements than those of the College of Graduate Studies. Prospective students should consult the Graduate Catalog or individual departments for individual program admission requirements. 


Admissions Deadlines

For timely application processing, submit your application to the College of Graduate Studies by the following priority dates:

  • October 1:  Priority date for spring semester
  • March 1:  Priority date for summer semester
  • June 1:  Priority date for fall semester

Please note: Individual programs may have earlier application deadlines. Prospective students should consult the Graduate Catalog or individual departments for application deadlines.


Fill Out Your Application

Choose your application type:

Domestic Students:

Choose this application type if you are a citizen, permanent resident, refugee or asylee of the Unites States of America and:

  • have NEVER applied to the College of Graduate Studies at MTSU
  • have previously graduated from MTSU with a graduate level degree and are pursuing a higher degree

International Students:

Choose this application type if you are NOT a citizen, permanent resident, refugee or asylee of the United States of America.

Reapplying to Graduate School:

Students reapplying to graduate school after a stop-out (excluding summers) must submit a readmission application. There is no application fee required for reapply. 


Pay Your Application Fee

A $35.00 (USD) application fees is required for all new applications.  Students that qualify for readmission applications do not need to pay this fee.  See Fill Out Your Application section above to choose which application you need.


Submit Admissions Materials



After submitting your application and paying the fee, your application will be processed by our graduation analysts.  Once this occurs, applicants will receive an email from the College of Graduate Studies with further admissions instructions.  Applicants will receive their M Number and MTmail account in that email.  Once you receive that information, you can set up your PipelineMT account and login to our Forms to submit missing items.  Please see the "Forms for New Applicants - Admissions Materials" section to upload admissions materials to the College of Graduate Studies.  The askgrad@mtsu.edu email cannot accept attachments.

Individual programs have other specific application requirements.  Please check with your program of interest for these requirements.  

Please note: All materials received become the property of MTSU and cannot be returned to the student or forwarded to a third party.


Submit Entrance Exam Scores

GRE, GMAT, MAT, or English Language Proficiency

Submission of GRE, GMAT, MAT scores are required for admission into graduate school. Tests are program specific so please check your program of interest for the required test. English Language Proficiency is required of all international applicants. The Middle Tennessee State University Institution Code is:

  • GRE: 1466
  • GMAT:
    • Accounting: 6ZR-KJ-63
    • Business Administration: (Full-time): 6ZR-KJ-25
    • Business Administration: (Part-time): 6ZR-KJ-52
    • Finance: 6ZR-KJ-07
    • Information Systems: 6ZR-KJ-37
    • Management: (Full-time): 6ZR-KJ-25
    • Management: (Part-time): 6ZR-KJ-52
  • MAT: 1751
  • TOEFL: 1466
  • IELTS: Mailed to the College of Graduate Studies
  • UMELI: Mailed to the College of Graduate Studies
  • ELS: Mailed to the College of Graduate Studies 


Submit All Previous Transcripts

Applicants must submit transcripts from all colleges, universities, and institutions attended other than MTSU. Applicants are NOT required to submit MTSU transcripts.  If you transferred into MTSU as an undergraduate, you do not need to submit transcripts from the institutions with courses that you transferred into MTSU.

Applicants must have official transcripts on file to receive unconditional admission.  Unofficial transcripts can be used to grant conditional admission.  Once an offer of admission has been made, official transcripts are required for a student to be allowed to register for classes.  Current undergraduates should request official transcripts to be sent after their degree is conferred (most institutions have a "hold for degree" option).

To be considered an official, a transcript must be sent directly from the applicant's institution to the College of Graduate Studies at MTSU. 

It is likely that you can order an electronic version of your transcript through your instituition. ANother option is to see if your school is listed at one of the following services: National Student Clearinghouse or Parchment. Using one of these sites will also send your transcript to be sent directly and quickly to us.


Request Letters of Recommendation

Most programs require an applicant to submit 3 Letters of Recommendation to aid in making decisions of admission. Check with your program of interest for their admission requirement.

Request Letters of Recommendation


Please note: All materials received become the property of MTSU and cannot be returned to the student or forwarded to a third party.


Verify Your Resident Status - EVEA

The Tennessee Eligibility Verification for Entitlements Act (EVEA) became effective on October 1, 2012.  The EVEA requires state public institutions of higher education to verify that persons seeking a “state public benefit” are either a “United States citizen” or “lawfully present” in the United States.

The term “state benefit” includes in-state tuition, lottery scholarship, academic scholarship, common market, or any other form of tuition assistance or waiver funded with state-appropriated dollars.  State benefit does not include tuition assistance funded privately, such as a scholarship from the institution’s foundation or a privately endowed scholarship.

Applicants do not have to verify the citizenship or lawful presence if not graduated from high school and are applying as dual enrollment, joint enrollment, or academically talented/gifted.

An applicant’s U.S. citizenship or lawful presence shall be verified in one of two ways:

  •  The applicant has completed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)  for which the student’s U. S. citizenship or eligible non-citizenship status has been confirmed by the federal government (“Citizenship-Confirmed FASFA”)


  •  The applicant presents documentation verifying his/her claim of U.S. citizenship or lawful presence in the U.S.  Scanned copies of documents may be uploaded on the EVEA Verification Form.

For applicants claiming U.S. citizenship without a Citizenship-Confirmed FASFA submit a copy of one (1) of the following documents:

  • A valid Tennessee driver license or photo identification license;
  • A valid driver license or photo identification license from another state (except for Utah and New Mexico);
  • An official birth certificate issued by a U.S. state, jurisdiction, or territory, except for Puerto Rican birth certificates issued before July 1, 2010;
  • A U.S. government-issued certified birth certificate;
  • A valid, unexpired U.S. passport;
  • A U.S. certificate of birth abroad (DS-1350 or FS-545);
  • A report of birth abroad of a citizen of the U.S. (FS-240);
  • A certificate of citizenship (N560 or N561);
  • A certificate of naturalization (N550, N570, or N578); or
  • A U.S. citizen identification card (I-197, I-179).

For applicants claiming to be an alien lawfully present in the United States, verify the Alien Registration Number (A#) or I-94 Admission Number by:

  • Completing a Citizenship-Confirmed FAFSA.  Please note that this option is only available for the following individuals:
    • U.S. permanent residents (individuals with an I-151, I-551, or I-551C permanent resident card); and
    • Individuals who have an Arrival/Departure Record (I-94) showing one of the following designations:
      • Refugee;
      • Asylum Granted;
      • Cuban-Haitian Entrant (Status Pending);
      • Conditional Entrant (Valid only if issued before April 1, 1980);
      • Victims of Human Trafficking (T-2, T-3, or T-4 visa); or
      • Parolee (who meets certain conditions)


  •  Presenting two (2) forms of documentation establishing lawful presence in the United States.  Examples of acceptable documents include:
    • Valid Tennessee driver license or photo identification card
    • Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551);
    • Valid, unexpired Foreign Passport with visa stamped “Processed for I-551”;
    • Permanent Resident Re-Entry Permit (I-327);
    • Refugee Travel Document (I-571);
    • Employment Authorization Document (Form I-766);
    • Arrival/Departure Record (Form I-94);
    • Valid, unexpired Foreign Passport with valid visa;
    • Notice of Approval of Status with bottom I-94 portion attached (Form I-797);
    • Certificate of Eligibility for Student Status (Form I-20); and
    • DS-2019 or IAP-66 for J-1 status holders;
    • Non-Resident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card; and
    • Any other document determined by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to be acceptable through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) program created pursuant to the federal Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.


Please note: All materials received become the property of MTSU and cannot be returned to the student or forwarded to a third party.

Submit EVEA Materials



Follow us on social media:

Twitter    Facebook    Instagram    LinkedIn