Faculty Resources: Curriculum


Graduate Curriculum Forms and Guidelines

Preparation of Materials to Submit for Curriculum Changes

Procedures for Requesting Curriculum Changes

  • Follow instructions for preparation of materials in relevant section
  • Obtain the necessary signatures
  • Prepare the correct number of each required form. The required number is listed on the top of each form.
  • Submit the forms to the College of Graduate Studies, First Floor, Sam H. Ingram Building. The Graduate College routes the documentation to the Graduate Faculty/Program Review subcommittee for discussion prior to the regular meeting of the Graduate Council. The subcommittee makes recommendations to the Graduate Council, which then makes recommendations to the dean of the College of Graduate Studies. All Graduate Council actions are noted in the minutes.

Every curriculum request must be accompanied by the following:

It is normally not necessary to send a representative to the Graduate Council meeting; however, representatives are welcome. Most action pertaining to faculty and program review occurs in the Graduate Faculty/Program Review subcommittee meeting. Departmental representatives and/or individual faculty making application for graduate faculty membership may attend the sub-committee meetings to respond to questions or concerns of the sub-committee. In the event that the sub-committee does not recommend a curriculum request, the department chair is notified and the reasons are given. In the event a person is not recommended for graduate faculty membership, the individual is notified and the reasons are given.

Curriculum Changes Which DO Require Graduate Council Action

New Program Requests

  • Submit the COVER MEMO.
  • Submit an outline of the proposed program listing the core courses and all electives.
  • Submit the NEW COURSE PROPOSAL for each new course requested as part of the program.

New Program Requests include the establishment of new academic degree programs, new majors, new concentrations (concentrations appear on the student's transcript and require TBR approval), and new specializations (specializations do not appear on the student's transcript and do not require TBR approval).

New Course Proposal

  • Submit the COVER MEMO for each new course proposed.
  • The NEW COURSE PROPOSAL FORM should be followed for all new course proposals. There are two parts to the form: Part I - Course Justification and Part II - Course Outline. Both parts must be submitted.

If proposed new course, change of title, or reactivation of a course may affect other departments, attach letters from the department chairs certifying they have been consulted and concur with the proposed action. Check current catalogs for similar course titles and offerings.

Request to Change Course Number or Title

To avoid duplication of course numbers, check with the Director of Records before assigning a course number. Avoid duplication of course titles and infringement on courses existing in other departments. If a course title is changed, it is sometimes necessary to change the course number as well.

Request to Change Credit Hours.

The Graduate Council frequently receives requests to change existing 3 credit hour courses to 4 credit hours because accrediting agencies have recommended it. This in and of itself is not sufficient cause to add credit hours. SACSCOC recommends 750 minutes of class time per semester credit hour.

Request to Dually List Course with Already Existing Course

To dual-list a 4000/5000 level course, include the course outline which must include a section stating the specific additional requirements for graduate students. These requirements must be of sufficient rigor to justify graduate credit. Dual-listed (4000/5000) courses must be approved by the University Curriculum Committee before being acted on by the Graduate Council. The department is responsible for submitting the appropriate documentation to the Graduate Council.

To dual-list a 6000/7000 level course, include the course outline which must include a section stating the specific additional requirements to justify doctoral (7000 level) credit.

Request for Non-substantive Revisions in Curriculum of Existing Major, Minor, Concentration or Specialization

"Non-substantive revisions" refers to minor modifications in the existing program, e.g., changing the number of hours required in the core, adding or deleting one course from the core, adding or deleting elective courses, etc.

Concentration is used if the notation is to appear on the student's transcript. Adding a concentration requires TBR approval.

Specialization is used if the specialty is not noted on the student's transcript. Adding a specialization does not require TBR approval.

Request to inactivate a Course

Courses which have not been offered in the past three to five years should be inactivated. No justification for inactivating a course is needed.

Request to Reactivate a Course

To reactivate a course, an updated course outline ( Part II of the NEW COURSE PROPOSAL) must be included.

Request to Change the Grading System for a Course

As of Fall 1997, the +/- grading system was implemented for graduate classes using the conventional ABC grading system. S/U grading, when appropriate, may be requested for an internship, practicum, etc.

Request to Change Admission Requirements

Non-substantive changes in the admission requirements for graduate programs such as requiring or deleting letters of recommendation, may be recommended by the Graduate Council, however, substantive changes require TBR approval, e.g., instituting a GRE score when one has not previously been required.

Other Requests

Curriculum Changes Which DO NOT Require Graduate Council Action

Minor changes in curriculum may be made at the departmental level and do not require action by the Graduate Council. These include:

  • changes in course descriptions that do not involve substantial changes in the course content
  • changes in prerequisites for existing courses

However, these changes do need to be made in the catalog. This requires approval by the department chair and dean of the applicable college.

Send changes along with a COVER MEMO signed and dated by the department chair, the pertinent college dean, and the dean of the College of Graduate Studies. Changes may be written on a photocopy of the current catalog page(s) or on a separate sheet.