F-1 students who have been admitted or plan to attend another institution, college, or university within the United States, must request to have their SEVIS record be transferred to the new school in order to maintain valid immigration status.
A SEVIS transfer is possible in the following circumstances:
- transferring to another school prior to the completion of your degree,
- completing your degree at MTSU and beginning another one at a different school, or
- changing to another school to seek a degree during, or at the completion of your Optional Practical Training.
You will need to notify the Office of International Admission of your intention to attend another school. A “release date” will be discussed and established. This is the date on which the SEVIS transfer will be activated in SEVIS. It is recommended that you submit your transfer request at least 2 weeks before your program end date at MTSU.
MTSU will retain control over your student records in SEVIS until the release date is reached. Students may apply to many schools but the SEVIS record can only be transferred to one school. Please note that a transfer cannot be canceled after the release date has been reached.
The SEVIS record must be released no later than 60 days after the last day of the last registered semester or summer session.
After the “release date,” obtain an I-20 from the transfer school. Report to the DSO at the transfer school within 15 days of the program start date listed on the I-20.
OPT: Students presently on Optional Practical Training are eligible to have their SEVIS record transferred to another school in order to begin a new program. The transfer must occur prior to the end of the 60-day grace period at the completion of the OPT. The OPT ends as of the transfer release date.
- Obtain an acceptance letter from the new school
- Complete the Transfer Verification Form
- Submit the documents to the International Admission office in Jones Hall 152