Student Union Facility Use Guidelines
The Student Unions department offers designated spaces inside the Student Union building and outside the Keathley University Center where student organizations and MTSU departments may display banners. Requestors may submit a reservation application to hang banners on the patio railings outside the KUC Grill, on the KUC columns (charges apply for this area, as Facilities Services must be enlisted to hang these banners) and/or in the Student Union Atrium on the 2nd floor railing. The newly updated banner reservation application outlines specific guidelines on the size and type of banner that may be displayed in each area. Please read these details carefully to ensure that your organization/department does not waste time and money on a banner that does not meet the requirements. PLEASE NOTE: Bed sheets are no longer permissible in any area, but canvas cloth is an inexpensive alternative for handmade banners.
Banner space is requested using the Student Affairs Facility Request Form. (link to the right).
The following conditions must be met in order to receive banner approval:
- Banner space applications must be submitted a minimum of 5 - 7 business days prior to reservation date, though more lead time is appreciated.
- Banner space may be utilized only by registered student organizations or MTSU departments for the purpose of advertising events and/or promoting their organization.
- Banners may be displayed up to two (2) consecutive weeks unless approved by the Dean of Student Life or his/her designee for a longer period of time.
- Banners are limited to one per organization unless approved by the Dean of Student Life or his/her designee.
- Banners must be retrieved from the Information Desk of the building where they were hung (KUC or Student Union) no later than five (5) business days following the removal date, after which they will be discarded. The Student Unions department is not responsible for the loss or damage to any banner.
- Banner space is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Placement will be determined by available space in the requested location at the time of the reservation.
University events and information appropriate to a campus-wide audience can be added to the Student Union digital informational signs. All content would need to follow the digital sign guidelines and be requested at least one month in advance of the event. More information can be found on the Digital Sign website.
Student organizations, MTSU departments and individuals may post flyers on designated bulletin boards in the Student Union, Keathley University Center, and James Union Building. No reservation is required, but each posting must be approved and stamped by the Student Unions department. Approval may be acquired at the Student Union Information Desk or the Keathley University Center Information Desk when an attendant is on duty. The Student Unions department reserves the right to decline any posting that is deemed inappropriate.
Handbills / Pamphlets / Table Tents
Registered student organizations and MTSU departments may request permission from the Student Unions department to distribute printed materials such as handbills, pamphlets, etc. Details on where and when these items may be disseminated will be determined on a case-by-case basis, according to the nature of the advertisement and the intended audience. Printed materials found around the buildings and grounds in areas not explicitly approved by Student Unions staff will be discarded.
External entities such as banks, apartment complexes, restaurants and the like are prohibited from distributing printed materials outside of the designated events when they are approved to be on campus (ex, CUSTOMS, Meet Murfreesboro, Off Campus Housing Fair). Unapproved printed materials found around the buildings and grounds will be discarded and promoters will be asked to leave campus.
Yard Signs & Temporary Outdoor Advertising
Yard signs advertising or promoting products, events, or services by unaffiliated groups or individuals or by commercial enterprises are prohibited. Only registered student organizations and departments are authorized to post yard signs. No reservation is required, and yard signs are allowed in most locations on campus, with the exception of all campus roundabouts and the President's Lawn. Yard signs must not block or protrude onto any sidewalk or impede accessibility to any walkway on campus. They must be removed by sponsoring organization promptly after event concludes. Signs placed in Student Union Commons, KUC Knoll, Quad, Walnut Grove, or in and around the James Union Building, may be posted for no more than four weeks. Signs must include the event name, contact email address, and removal date. Signs will be removed after the four weeks or after the event concludes. Signs may be retrieved from the Studnet Union Information Desk M-F 8:00AM-4:30PM.
Sidewalk chalk is NOT permitted on campus grounds. Chalking is treated as a police offense for Destruction of Public Property.
- Prior to the event Users shall provide a complete list of all persons to be allowed in the restricted service hallway areas. This list must be approved by the Student Unions Administration. Administration reserves the right to restrict back of house access.
- Student Union Administration reserves the right to control the final sound level for any event.
- All coordination between Licensee and Student Unions Administration will be conducted according to the Middle Tennessee State University, Event Facility Use Policy
- No additional locks will be permitted on any door of the premises. It is recommended that valuables be collected by Users representative prior to the event and kept until the event is completed. Although Middle Tennessee State University maintains twenty four (24) hour security in all areas under its jurisdiction, All Union facilities assume no responsibility for valuables left in dressing rooms or around buildings.
- Any incident where a room is used not in accordance with its intended purpose is not the responsibility of Student Unions or its staff.
- ALL SMOKE AND PYROTECHNICS EFFECTS MUST BE APPROVED BY THE STUDENT UNIONS ADMINISTRATION AND THE UNIVERSITY FIRE MARSHALL. In addition, pyrotechnic effects must first be approved by the State Fire Marshall’s office. Users must provide a written description of each effect and may be called upon to demonstrate that effect to the University Fire Marshall prior to approval. Pyrotechnic effects permits also require a drawing of the stage showing locations of the effects with respect to audience, actors and/or performers and scenery, and a letter attesting to the expertise of the pyro-technician. Users shall work in conjunction with the Administration in coordinating demonstrations with the University Fire Marshall. Pyrotechnic permits must be issued ten business days prior to the demonstration. Substantial fees are involved in this process.
- All scenery and paraphernalia shall be flame proofed by Users so as to satisfy legal standards and the highest standards of accepted contemporary practice.
- All electrical equipment brought into the building by Users shall comply with all rules and regulations of city, state, and federal governments.
- Any use and/or change of rigging and equipment must be approved in advance by the Student Unions Administration.
- Users shall not allow nails, tacks, stage screws or similar articles to be driven or placed in any part of the building without prior approval by Student Unions Administration.
- Users shall not allow flags, banners, signs, poster, etc. to be taped, stapled pinned, or attached to any portion of the building, curtains, or furniture. Any damage incurred from this use, shall be the responsibility of Users.
- Refreshments may be served in the certain areas of the facilities. Licensee will be responsible for cleanup of all food and/or refreshment refuse and service equipment prior to leaving the Facility each day. All refuse shall be placed in the appropriate waste containers. Failure to fully cleanup all food and/or refreshment refuse or service equipment daily will result in a cleaning fee of $ 300.00 per infraction. MTSU has an exclusive catering contract. All food products must be secured through the campus vendor, or permission of exception be obtained.
- Users may not use the man lifts without approval from Student Unions Administration.
- The facilities are a place of public accommodation and are accessible to disabled persons in compliance with Titles II & III of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Users shall not allow any of its artists, employees, contractors, agents, invitees, or other persons it permits on the premises to render the facilities inaccessible to disabled persons or otherwise cause the facilities to be out of compliance with the ADA. In the event Users permits any person to render the facilities inaccessible to disabled persons or otherwise cause the facilities to be out of compliance with the ADA, Users shall immediately remove the cause and return the facilities to compliance.
- The Director of Student Unions must be informed anytime chemical smoke or haze is used to insure building Administration is informed and proper safety precautions are taken.
- Doors to the exterior of the building are not permitted to be propped open at any time. These are rated and used to control fire in the event an emergency.
- Glitter is not permitted in any Student Unions facility.
- The Student Union is located on Middle Tennessee State University which is state property and therefore, smoking is not permitted in any part of the building. MTSU is a Tobacco free campus; therefore, cigarettes, e-cigs, chewing tobacco, and vaporizers are not permitted in any student union space.
- Users shall not obstruct: (i) any entrances or exits from the building, (ii) any stairways, hallways, or access to utilities within the building, or (iii) any sidewalks immediately outside the building.
- Animals (other than service animals) will not be allowed in the building for any reason, without the consent of the Student Unions Administration prior to load-in.
- Decorations and signs may not be placed in any rooms, hallways, lobbies, or theaters in the building without the permission of the Student Unions Administration. Costs to repair any damage caused by placing such decorations or signs will be paid by the organization or user. No sign or decoration is allowed on the building exterior or sidewalk. Yard signs may be used in the commons area, knoll, and front of the James Union Building. Signs will be marked and removed on a weekly basis. Signs are permitted for no longer than one month. After a month expires the sign may be reinstalled for an additional month.
- Firearms are prohibited in all state buildings.
As the Student Union, James Union Building and Keathley University Center are part of the Institution named Middle Tennessee State University, Students make up the primary work crew and technical staff. Students must adhere to the policies and procedures set forth by the Student Unions Department.
- An Event Manager is required anytime Users wants access to the Facility.
- Use of lighting, sound, mechanical, electrical, and/or other equipment owned by the Facility requires the presence of the appropriate trained operators and/or crew for said equipment. Student Union Equipment must be operated by Student Union Personnel.
- Unions staff must be present throughout an event and responsible only for the event in question at a rate of 1 person per 100 persons in attendance.