Institutional Review Board (IRB)
- Please allow a minimum of 4 business days BEFORE you call us regarding the status of your petition
- Allow at least 2 weeks for protocols to be reviewed AFTER your application is complete. Applications found to be incomplete during the prescreening process would be sent back to the investigators without a review
- Expect additional processing time during the months of September-October and February-March. The MTSU IRB continues to accept and review protocols during the summer months (June-August).
MTSU Human Research Protection Program
The Institutional Review Board (IRB) at MTSU is an appointed committee which oversee any research projects that involve human participants. The aim of the IRB is to protect the rights and welfare of the research subjects. No research study that involves collection of data through interaction or intervention with living individuals may begin at MTSU without the consent of its IRB. The links on this page are designed to guide researchers through the process of seeking approval for protocols that involve the collection of data by enrolling living human subjects. Please refer to the FAQ for general IRB-related questions.
Federal Wide Assurance (FWA)
- FWA number - 00005331
- IRB Registration number - IRB00003571
- IORG number - 0002962
- OBM number - 0990-0279
- ORI* number - 1274605
*ORI - Office of Research Integrity (Not part of OHRP) oversees misconduct in research but not human subjects protocols.
Visit the Decision Guide for answers to questions such as:
What is "research" as defined by OHRP?
Does my research involve Human Subjects?
- Please note that "exempt" does not refer to an exemption from IRB oversight; it merely designates certain types of activities and interventions considered to pose less than minimal risk to the participants as exempt from continuing IRB review. But, all of the regulatory requirements are same.
- Also note that "expedited" does not refer to a swifter review process; it merely designates certain types of activities or interventions as minimal risk and they can be reviewed and approved through a member review process that does not require a full committee decision.
The Online Training page will link researchers to a site where they can undergo training to obtain certification for conducting research involving human subjects. The IRB Forms page allows access to download the most current applications, final/progress reports, templates for consent forms, and other important documents.
Inquiring General Information
- The best way to contact us is by email. Send your questions and inquiries to email@example.com
Sending Documents to the IRB
- The Office of Compliance accepts only electronically filled documents
- An MTSU Faculty member MUST email the application documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
- THE OFFICE OF COMPLIANCE WILL NO LONGER RECEIVE APPLICATIONS FROM STUDENTS. Student researchers must have their faculty advisor or class coordinator email the application documents. Check out the Students page.
- Ensure all necessary boxes are completed as accurately as possible. Incomplete applications will be sent back to the investigators and will not be reviewed until the application documents are complete.
- Those who qualify for full review must check the committee schedule and should allow more time for the approval process. The committee requires at least 2 (TWO) weeks to review the application before bringing the study for a vote at a convened meeting.
The MTSU IRB uses the following questions in evaluating if a proposed study meets the oversight standards.
- Is the purpose of the proposed activity/project/study clear?
- Is the recruitment of subjects proper with adequate disclosures?
- Is the inducement of participants reasonable?
- Are the researchers' expertise and training adequate?
- Are the subjects adequately informed on the potential risks/discomforts and other information?
- Is the informed consent documentation proper?
- Are the risks minimized if risks are necessary to complete the study?
- Are there any benefits?
- Is the confidentiality plan proper?
- Is the data use and storage clearly explained?
Report Compliance Breach and Adverse Events Immediately
If you need to report a study related injury, or if you have concerns about a research project, please contact the Office of Compliance by emailing to email@example.com or call 615 898 2400. ALL COMMUNICATIONS TO THE OFFICE OF COMPLIANCE WILL BE KEPT STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL.
Email questions to: Send applications and documents to:
Office of Compliance QUICK LINKS
2269 Middle TN Blvd IACUC Home
Sam H. Ingram Bldg (ING) Room 010 Information for Investigators - FAQ
Box 124 (Previously 134) Preparing for IRB approval
Murfreesboro, TN 37132 Types of IRB reviews
Tel: 615 898 2400 | FAX: 615 898 5028 Review guidelines