SECTION 3: Parking Regulations
3-1: All State of Tennessee laws, City of Murfreesboro ordinances, and University regulations pertaining to motor vehicles are in effect and are enforced 24 hours per day, unless otherwise noted.
3-2: Color-coded parking is used to regulate the parking of vehicles. The color of the parking permit denotes the area in which a person may park.
- White - Available to faculty, administrators, and staff (to include residence directors and graduate teaching assistants). Vehicles displaying white permits are allowed to park in White, Red, and Green permit areas.
- Green - Available to commuter students only. Vehicles displaying green permits are allowed to park in green permit areas (summer exception see section 3-16).
- Blue - Students and employees with disabilities. Vehicles displaying blue permits are allowed to park in White, Red, and Green areas that are not reserved and ADA spaces.
- Red- Available to students residing in on- campus housing. Vehicles displaying a
red permit are allowed to park in Red and Green areas.
3-3: All reserved spaces are reserved 24 hours a day unless otherwise noted on signage or below:
- Students and employees with disabilities - reserved 24 hours a day.
- Health Services - reserved 7:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Library staff - reserved 6:30 p.m.-11:00 p.m.
- Housing staff - reserved 24 hours a day.
- All residential parking areas reserved 24 hours a day.
- Maintenance spaces reserved 24 hours a day.
- Speech Clinic spaces reserved Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- CDC parent spaces in Fairview parking lot reserved Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Recording Industry space reserved 6- 10 p.m.
3-4: Special Event Parking - It may occasionally be necessary to close spaces or a lot due to construction, a workshop or conference, or a special event. Parking and Transportation Services will give advance notice of closings whenever possible.
3-5: Vehicles are not to be parked at any time where parking is not designated, where curbing is painted yellow, where sidewalks intersect streets, on sidewalks, across parking lines, on campus lawns (grass), or other places where signs indicate no parking. Parking is allowed only in clearly designated parking spaces. Vehicles that are parked or waiting in a fire lane will be towed. In gravel lots, legal parking spaces are designated by concrete bumper blocks, except for those painted yellow. Only one (1) vehicle/motorcycle is to park per space.
3-6: Vehicles are not to be parked in any manner as to constitute a traffic/pedestrian hazard or to impede the flow of traffic/pedestrians.
3-7: Every vehicle stopped or parked upon a roadway where there are adjacent curbs shall be so stopped or parked with the right-hand wheels of the vehicle parallel to and within eighteen (18) inches of the right-hand curb (TCA 55-8-161).
3-8: All students and employees are to park in their assigned areas, Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., except for the following parking lots which will NOT open for all permitted parking until 6:30 p.m.:
- Old Main Circle (on street parking)
- Faulkinberry Dr. (on street parking)
- Davis Science Lot
- Honors Lot
- Founders Lot
After 6:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and on weekends, White and Green permit parking areas are open for any permitted vehicle. Yellow curbs, no parking zones, disabled, and reserved spaces are in effect 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
3-9: Short-term parking is governed by parking meters. The parking meters are considered in operation from 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. A charge of fifty cents (50¢) for 30 minutes is required while parked in these spaces.
3-10: Vehicles are not permitted to park in campus directory drives. This is enforced 24 hours a day.
3-11: Vehicles will be towed from campus streets, parking areas, lawns, drives, restricted areas, loading areas, etc., if the vehicles are parked or left in violation of University regulations, City of Murfreesboro ordinances, and/or Tennessee State laws pertaining to motor vehicles, or if said vehicle constitutes a traffic/pedestrian hazard. The cost of towing and any penalties will be the responsibility of the owner/registrant. All tow zones are enforced 24 hours a day.
3-12: The operator of any disabled vehicle parked in violation of University regulations must report the vehicle immediately to Parking and Transportation Services. Failure to report may result in traffic citations and/or towing. The vehicle must be called in each day it is disabled and parked in violation of University regulations.
3-13: No personal recreational or work travel trailers should be parked or stored on campus property, except for equipment purchased by academic/administrative departments for University related purposes.
3-14: Advertising vehicles "For Sale" in University parking lots is prohibited. Any vehicle identified for such wrongful display for a period of 48 hours or more will be identified as a disabled vehicle and may result in traffic citations and/or towing.
3-15: Garage parking is limited to currently enrolled students displaying a current and valid student parking permit.
3-16: Any commuter student holding a valid green MTSU parking permit may park in any red parking permit area that is not reserved during the summer sessions.