Admission to MTSU

Admission is the first step in starting the process to become an MTSU student.

How To Apply

Applying to MTSU starts with an admission application.

(Students using Federal Tuition Assistance must speak to their Educational Service Officer or their unit's counselor prior to enrolling).

Submit Military Training Records for Credit Evaluation

If you are an honorably discharged veteran, National Guard member, Reservist, or active duty service member, the training you received in the military can generally translate to elective credit towards your degree.

Additionally, if you are a member of one of the above groups and you are receiving the GI Bill or TA education benefits, once you have applied to MTSU, you are:

  • required to submit the Member 4 DD214 or the Leave and Earnings Statement (LES)-- all veterans or currently serving,
  • required to submit Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript-- for those who are or have been in the Air Force,
  • recommended to submit a Joint Services Transcript (JST)-- all other branches.  

Credit from a DD214 or LES is determined by the amount of time served.  Please note that some degree programs may limit the number of prior learning hours that can be used.

Usually, all credit from the JST and Community College of the Air Force is posted as either upper division or lower division elective credit. These credits can generally be used to fulfill elective requirements. If you believe the credit is equivalent to an MTSU course, then you may petition the department to accept the elective credit as a substitution for a specific required course.  We can assist you with this process.  Please contact the Transition Manager, Emily Steinway.  There may also be options via the B.S. in Liberal Studies in which military credit can be used as one area of emphasis.

To obtain military training records, please see the service / branch transcript request information below.

Army, Marines, Navy, Coast Guard 

Air Force
100 S. Turner Blvd.
Maxwell AFB, AL 36114
Community College of the Air Force Transcript

Other Ways to Earn College Credit

  • Adult Degree Completion Program -
  • Earn Credit by Examination
      • CLEP, CEEB, DSST, Credit by Special Exam, International Baccalaureate Program, Foreign Language Tests, the Advanced Placement Examinations (AP), the American College Testing Program (ACT).  For more information, access the university undergraduate catalog here


Before your admission to MTSU can be completed, you will need to provide proof of immunization. You do this by submitting both a:

  • copy of your DD214 (Mail: MTSU Box 0237, Murfreesboro, TN 37132 or fax: 615-898-5004), and
  • Hepatitis B/Meningitis Immunity online acknowledgment

Submission of both of these items will provide adequate proof for all immunizations for those students living off campus.

For information, visit immunization requirements.

Residency Requirements

A veteran, or any individual entitled to the veteran’s education benefits, enrolled at MTSU shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition if the veteran or the eligible individual:

  • Is eligible for post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits or Montgomery GI Bill benefits
  • Enrolls at MTSU after satisfying admission requirements, within 3 years from the date of discharge as reflected on the veteran’s certificate of release or discharge from active duty, Form DD214 or an equivalent document
  • Maintains continuous full-time enrollment
  • Provides 2 of the following within 3 years from the first date of enrollment:
    • Tennessee driver’s license
    • Tennessee motor vehicle registration
    • Tennessee voter's registration
    • Proof of established employment in Tennessee
    • Other documentation clearly evidencing domicile or residence in Tennessee as determined by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission  

Aside from the above, if your member 4 DD214 has a Tennessee address, that will result in in-state classification.  TN National Guard members are also granted in-state tuition (after verification each semester of continued enrollment and good standing with the TN Guard)

The Undergraduate Admissions office is charged with classifying new undergraduate students as in-state or out-of-state for fee-paying purposes, according to the guidelines established by the state legislature and the Tennessee Board of Regents. If there is any reason to question your status as a permanent resident of Tennessee, we will classify you out-of-state until we receive a completed in-state classification application and supporting documents. Click on the link below for a copy of the in-state classification application online. The in-state classification application should be filed with the Admissions Office at least 10 days in advance of the start of the semester so that we will have time to process it before your fees are due. 

If your in-state classification application was denied, contact the Student Affairs Office at (615) 898-2750 to schedule an appeal before the In-State Classification Appeals Committee. Students appealing their residency decision have the option of meeting in person with the Committee to explain their situation. You cannot contact the Appeals Committee until after your in-state classification application has been denied by the Admissions Office.

For additional information regarding in-state classification for fee payment purposes, contact Emily Steinway.

The College of Graduate Studies is charged with classifying new graduate students as in-state or out-of-state for fee-paying purposes, according to the guidelines established by the state legislature and the Tennessee Board of Regents. Click on the links below for a copy of the in-state classification application online or academic common market.

For information on the in-state application for the College of Graduate Studies, please contact:

Dr. David Butler
Vice Provost for Research and Dean of the College of Graduate Studies
Room 0121 Ingram Building
MTSU Box 0042
(615) 898-2182 

Military Service Withdrawals/Readmissions

Students who leave MTSU due to military service or are returning after fulfilling service obligations, should contact the Daniels Center to ensure their proper academic status is reinstated.