Academic Probation / Suspension
The minimum Overall GPA required to graduate is 2.00. An undergraduate student failing to meet one of the following standards during any term will be placed on academic probation for the subsequent term:
- attain a 2.00 GPA for the current semester, or
- meet one of the following retention standards:
- if you have 0 - 29.99 overall combined quality hours, you need a 1.50 Overall Combined GPA
- if you have 30 - 49.99 overall combined quality hours, you need a 1.80 Overall Combined GPA
- if you have 50 or more overall combined quality hours, you need a 2.00 Overall Combined
If you are on academic probation and don’t meet one of the above standards the next term in which you’re enrolled, you will be will be suspended. The first time you are suspended, it’s for one semester (not including summer) and any subsequent suspensions will be for 2 semesters (not including summer). Students previously suspended are not eligible for probationary status and will be suspended again each semester you don’t meet the retention standards.
Undergraduate students who are suspended and wish to appeal for fall 2016 can obtain an appeal form from the MT One Stop or online here after July 11. Appeals for graduate level students are handled by the Graduate Office (615) 898-5897.
|deadline for returning appeal form||appeals committee meets||results available|
|Fall 2016||August 15, 2016 | 4:00 p.m.||August 17, 2016 | 9:00 a.m.||by morning, August 18, 2016|
The final decision of the Academic Appeals Committee will be posted in RaiderNet, and a message will be sent to the student's mtmail e-mail address as soon as all paperwork is processed.