Academic Fresh Start - Undergraduate Students
Academic Fresh Start is a plan of academic forgiveness which allows undergraduate students who have experienced academic difficulty to make a clean start upon returning to college after an extended absence.
- You cannot have attended any collegiate institutions for a minimum of four (4) years.
- You must meet the institutional requirements for admission/re-admission.
- You must apply for admission or re-admission as a degree-seeking student.
- You must complete the Academic Fresh Start application and meet with your college advisor to develop an approved academic plan.
Terms of the Academic Fresh Start
- Once the above requirements are met, the Academic Fresh Start may be approved. You can be granted a Fresh Start only once.
- Your permanent record will remain a record of all work; however, courses taken and
previously failed will be excluded from the calculation of the Quality Point Average
(QPA) and your Grade Point Average (GPA). Courses with a D grade will also be excluded
from the calculation when a grade of C or better is required in your current major.
- Retained grades will be calculated in the Fresh Start QPA/GPA.
- Courses with D or F grades must be repeated at the institution when they are required in the student's current major. All remaining courses for the current degree objectives must be completed at the institution. No transient credit will be accepted after invoking Academic Fresh Start.
- The application of the Academic Fresh Start will only pertain to your major at the time of approval.
- Previously satisfied Assessment and Placement Program (COMPASS) requirements will not be forfeited.
- Your transcript will note that an Academic Fresh Start was made and the date of the Fresh Start.
- All TBR institutions will honor a Fresh Start provision granted at another TBR institution. You should understand that non-TBR institutions may not accept the QPA as it is calculated with the Fresh Start.
- This policy is independent of financial aid regulations. Financial aid requirements at the time of application will apply. Therefore, you should check with your MT One Stop counselor for guidance.
Students who had been following the old Academic Fresh Start policy can be granted the Fresh Start based on the requirements in effect at the time.