Withdrawing from University (all classes)  Withdrawing from Some Classes
Withdrawing from Classes I’ve Stopped Attending  Fee Adjustments 

Withdrawing from the University (dropping all classes before classes start)

Total withdrawal from the University means that the student drops all courses for that semester. Withdrawing from the University can cost you both time and money! Before you begin the withdrawal process, meet with / email / call the MT One Stop about consequences involving financial aid, loan repayment, your future academic plans, and to get information about helpful tools like tutoring, mentoring, etc. Contact Housing and Residential Life if you are living on campus and MT Dining if you have a meal plan. These, too, could be affected. Refer to the university’s policy on university withdrawals by clicking here.  

Before classes begin

Only withdrawals prior to the first day of classes (beginning of term) are eligible to receive a 100% fee adjustment of tuition and fees. A student who preregisters for classes and decides not to attend prior to the beginning of that term may access PipelineMT to withdraw from all classes selected during preregistration.

Before you begin this action, please contact the MT One Stop. We’ll want to talk with you regarding alternatives to withdrawing, or about your future academic plans and re-enrollment in an upcoming term. Please refer to the Registration Guide for all deadlines associated with withdrawing from courses that you’ve been attending, and carefully review the Drop/Withdrawal Fee Adjustment Information for guidance regarding calculating fee adjustments. Once you have reviewed the fee adjustment information and spoken to the MT One Stop, and you have still decided to withdraw from the University, follow these procedures

After classes begin

Have you already stopped attending? If so, you need to go to the MT One Stop to discuss how this will affect your financial aid, housing, progress toward graduation, and other issues. They can help you with the withdrawal process, if needed. Click here for instructions on how you can view your reported attendance in PipelineMT.            

Dropping Some Classes (but not all)

Dropping classes can have consequences for the following:

  • Financial aid
  • Health and personal insurance
  • Campus Housing
  • Veterans benefits
  • Subsidized housing

Before dropping any class, meet with your instructor and the MT One Stop to discuss tools that may help you to stay in the class and do well, such as tutoring, mentoring, study skills and time management workshops, etc.

Once you have met with your instructor and the MT One Stop and if you have still decided to drop a class, refer to these procedures for dropping classes. Click here for some helpful tips regarding withdrawals.

Reported Non-Attendance (unofficial withdrawal)

Faculty at MTSU report student attendance at the beginning of the term and may additionally report attendance beyond that date. If a student is reported as “Stopped Attending” or “Never Attended” in all enrolled courses within a semester, the student is considered “unofficially withdrawn” from the University. Unofficial withdrawals may have serious impact on the student‘s financial aid status.

Ceasing to attend classes without withdrawing will result in a grade of "F" or “FA”; therefore, it is imperative that you speak with your professor(s) immediately if you encounter personal or academic difficulties which disrupt class attendance. You should also consult with the MT One Stop for support and guidance as early as possible. Grades, financial aid, and housing can potentially be affected by simply dropping out. Early intervention and action reduces complications for all concerned.

For instructions on how to view your attendance report and potential consequences to financial aid, click here.

Fee Adjustments

The date you withdraw affects any adjustment and grade that you will receive. Click here to view how fee adjustments are calculated. Please be aware that a fee adjustment at any stage of the withdrawal process does not guarantee that you will receive any adjustment to your student account. If you have received any financial aid, the federal government or your lenders may require that the University return all or part of your aid. Anytime a student withdraws from classes, it is possible that the student will owe a balance to MTSU. Students who drop or withdraw from classes will still have a balance due under the deferred payment plan. Fees are adjusted based on the drop or withdrawal date. The refund percentage is NOT applied to the amount of payment, but rather as a percentage of adjustment of total fees. A refund would only be issued to the student if the newly adjusted amount of fees is less than the amount that has been paid by the student.

If you have received a Federal Pell Grant or Federal Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant, Federal SEOG, Federal TEACH Grant, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Direct Loans, or Lottery Scholarships, your aid may be prorated based on the amount of time you have attended. All or part of your aid could be prorated resulting in you owing back the university. A hold will be placed on your account preventing you from receiving grades or transcripts, registering for future semesters, or re-enrolling in the university until the balance is paid in full.

Other withdrawal tips-what else should I know?

  • If you have extenuating circumstances and need to withdraw due to these, such as a medical emergency or death of immediate family member, appropriate documentation of the circumstances should be brought to the MT One Stop. You may also email withdraw@mtsu.edu to inquire about the possibility of a withdrawal. 
  • If you must withdraw from a course or courses during the semester, you may contact each instructor to advise the instructor of the withdrawal and complete the withdrawal via your PipelineMT account. If you withdraw after the last date to withdraw with a grade of “W”, the instructor will have the option of assigning a grade of "W" or "F" or “FA”.
  • After the final exam period for the term, you are not allowed to drop/withdraw from classes unless you can provide documentation of extenuating circumstances. Students should take all documentation to the MT One Stop to inquire about the possibility of a withdrawal. 
  • Any student who leaves the University without officially withdrawing will receive a grade of “F” or “FA” for all work attempted. 
  • If you have extenuating circumstances causing an extended absence from class, please alert your instructors immediately. If you are unable to contact them yourself, you can email withdraw@mtsu.edu and we will initiate notification for you. Please be advised- each instructor deems excused/not excused absences for their classes and may ask for documentation. The One Stop CANNOT guarantee an absence will be excused.
  • If you are pursuing Incompletes (a grade of I), please refer to your instructor(s) and that department. Incompletes are not issued, initiated or changed by the One Stop. The decision to award an Incomplete is at the discretion of each instructor and their departmental policies. Changing an Incomplete to a Withdrawal after awarded will then require documentation of an extenuating circumstance and approval of that instructor. 
  • Click here to download a helpful guide regarding drop deadlines and effects on fee adjustments and financial aid.
  • Click here to view the university’s policy on university withdrawals.