Raider Outdoor Lightning Leadership (ROLL)
Our mission: To provide incoming freshmen with the opportunity to make new friends, develop leadership skills, and to become acquainted with the outdoors.
The Raider Outdoor Lightning Leadership (ROLL) trip is a unique experiential learning program for first-year students to develop friendships, communication and leadership skills, and expand their support network at MTSU. ROLL is housed under Campus Recreation and Middle Tennessee Outdoor Pursuits (MTOP), and is designed to be fun, engaging, and a great way to begin college! Some activities students participate in during the week include stand up paddleboarding, kayaking, canoeing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and volunteer work.
- 2020 Dates: TBD
Goals and Purpose of ROLL
- Create a positive transition into campus life at MTSU by fostering connections between the new students and the campus community
- Build confidence in the students' current leadership abilities and introduce new leadership skills that will enable them to become strong leaders at MTSU
- Collaborate with MTSU partners to provide resources for participants to succeed in college such as time management, conflict resolution, and how to get involved at MTSU
- Establish peer-to-peer relationships with upperclassmen staff that can provide real life advice to help navigate your first year on campus.
- Introduce students to leadership opportunities at MTSU and encourage their participation in these opportunities
- Organize safe opportunities for students to participate in healthy and fun outdoor recreation activities
What to Expect
The majority of the program will take place at a lodge at Cedars of Lebanon State Park, located 40 minutes from Murfreesboro, but we will stay at Campus Recreation the first night of the experience. Monday morning we will head out to program areas to begin the adventure, and we will return to campus Friday morning at 10 am so students can begin moving into the resident halls. The lodge has air conditioning, hot showers, gender-separate restrooms and bunk rooms, and a commercial kitchen where we will all cook together.
We divide everyone into five groups of nine students each, and you stay with your group throughout the week as you rotate through a different outdoor activity each day. When we get back to the lodge after a fun day of adventure, we will have a huge group meal. After dinner, our evening counselors will have various activities planned to help the group learn about the collegiate experience. By the end of the week, participants will be prepared to start college at MTSU, having made over 45 new friends before school even starts!
Frequently Asked Questions
We have tried to provide as much information as possible, but please contact Blake at Blake.email@example.com with additional questions you may have. We hope to see you on the trip!