Honors students are strongly encouraged to seek study abroad opportunities. Ideally, students should plan to complete study abroad experiences during the summer or during the fall of the junior year. Students can count a maximum of nine semester hours from study abroad experiences toward the Honors College graduation requirements. In some instances, three hours may apply as upper-division interdisciplinary seminar credit if the course qualifies and approval is granted before the trip dates.
There are three general types of approved study abroad programs at MTSU:
- Program Providers offer short-term (summer, winter) and long-term (semester, academic year) programs. These have a high level of support and provide students with a chance to study abroad with other U.S. and local (host country) students. Examples are programs offered through CIEE, ISA, and USAC
- Exchange Programs are long-term (semester, academic year) programs. They offer greater independence and the ability to study with local (host country) students. Tuition & fees may be paid to MTSU or to the provider, depending on the programs.
- MTSU Signature Programs are MTSU faculty led, have a high level of support, are 2-4 weeks in duration, and earn 3-6 credit hours. These are typically summer courses and include the Honors Signature programs.
Honors Signature Study Abroad and Study Away Programs
For more Study Abroad general information visit: MT Abroad Office
Forms & Scholarships
- Students wishing to receive Honors credit for studying abroad must first complete the Honors Study Abroad Intent Form after meeting with a representative from the MT Abroad Office, Peck Hall 207, (615-898-5091) and then with the Honors College academic advisor, April Goers in HONR 228, (615-898-5464). Intent should be established prior to trip dates. The Intent Form must have the signature of the MT Abroad Office BEFORE it is turned in to the Honors College!
- Honors Study Abroad Scholarships: Students may apply for funding to help finance their Study Abroad Program by completing and submitted the form above. Once approved, students must then accept the scholarship by completing the acceptance form: Study Abroad Scholarship Acceptance Form.
- For more information, please contact April Goers at 615-494-7767 or April.Goers@mtsu.edu.