Academic Probation / Suspension
The minimum Overall GPA required to graduate is 2.00. An undergraduate student failing to meet one of the following standards during any term will be placed on academic probation for the subsequent term:
- attain a 2.00 GPA for the current semester, or
- meet one of the following retention standards:
- if you have 0 - 29.99 overall combined quality (GPA) hours, you need a 1.50 Overall Combined GPA
- if you have 30 - 49.99 overall combined quality (GPA) hours, you need a 1.80 Overall Combined GPA
- if you have 50 or more overall combined quality (GPA) hours, you need a 2.00 Overall Combined GPA
If you are on academic probation and don’t meet one of the above standards the next term in which you’re enrolled, you will be will be suspended. The first time you are suspended, it’s for one semester (not including summer) and any subsequent suspensions will be for 2 semesters (not including summer). Students previously suspended are not eligible for probationary status and will be suspended again each semester you don’t meet the retention standards.
The deadline to submit an appeal packet for review at the May 2019 meeting has passed. The next deadline to submit an appeal packet to return for Fall 2019 is 4:00 p.m., Monday, August 19, 2019. The undergraduate academic appeal procedures and appeal form for Fall 2019 will be availble after July 1, 2019.
Appeals for graduate level students are handled by the Graduate Office (615) 898-2840.
|Term||deadline for returning appeal form||appeals committee meets||results available|
|SUMMER or FALL 2019||4:00 p.m., Monday, May 13||May 15 | 9:00 a.m.||
No later than the morning of May 16
The final decision of the Academic Appeals Committee will be posted in PipelineMT, and a message will be sent to the student's mtmail email address as soon as all paperwork is processed.