Regional Scholars Program
Beginning with the fall 2016 semester, the MTSU Regional Scholars Program allows select non-Tennessee resident students who live within approximately 250 miles and meet specific academic requirements to attend MTSU at a greatly reduced rate and qualify for the Freshman Academic Merit Scholarships.
In order to qualify the student must meet the following requirements:
- Graduated from a high school located in a county within a 250 mile radius of MTSU
- Have an ACT composite of 25 (or SAT equivalent) or above
- Prior to March 2016- SAT score of 1130 (Critical Reading & Math)
- March 2016 and future tests- SAT score of 1220 (Critical Reading & Math)
- Attend full time (at least 12 hours)
- Apply for the Academic Common market program (if available)
Students who qualify will receive:
- A reduced tuition rate equal to approximately 48% off the standard out of state rate. Students participating in the Academic Common Market Program may receive even lower rates.
- Automatic consideration for the MTSU Freshman Academic Merit Scholarships (see additional requirements below)
Students who complete the application for admission to the University by December 1, 2016 for fall 2017 admission will receive the special tuition rate and may qualify for an academic scholarship (see additional requirements below). There is no separate application for the Regional Scholars program.
Students who apply after December 1, 2016 for fall 2017 admission will receive the special tuition rate but will not be guaranteed an academic scholarship.
Eligible High Schools
The following map will provide a reasonable estimate of the area of eligibility of this program.
You can also check your state's list below for a list of eligible high schools. If your high school is not listed, please contact us for more details.
*Homeschooled students living within the 250 mile radius must self-identify in order to be reviewed.
Students who will be joining MTSU in the summer or fall semesters, who apply by the priority deadline, and who meet minimum eligibility requirements for the following awards will be offered the appropriate scholarship as long as funding is available.
Please note the equivalent SAT scores in the table below. Old SAT scores are used for tests prior to March 2016. New SAT scores are used for tests taken March 2016 and after. SAT equivalent scores include Critical Reading and Math scores.
|Scholarship||ACT (old SAT/ new sat)||GPA||Amt/Yr|
|True Blue||26 (1170/1260)||3.5||$3,000|
Requirements for Continuing Eligibility
Students must maintain full-time enrollment in the fall and spring semesters. If a student withdraws from a class or classes to drop below full-time, they will be asked to pay out-of-state tuition for that term. A student may regain Regional classification the next term, provided they enroll full-time. If there are documentable extenuating circumstances for the change in enrollment, students can appeal the change in tuition using the appeal form, found here. This form must be submitted to the One Stop prior to the end of the term in question.