Regional Scholars Program
The MTSU Regional Scholars Program allows select non-Tennessee resident students seeking an undergraduate degree who live within approximately 250 miles and meet specific academic requirements to attend MTSU at a greatly reduced rate as well as qualify for the Freshman Academic Merit Scholarships.
*For new students beginning Fall 2019, this program has been extended to include any of the eight states bordering Tennessee, pending Board of Trustee approval. Residents of Kentucky, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas and Missouri meeting the requirements below will also be eligible for the reduced rate.
In order to qualify the student must meet the following requirements:
- Graduated from a high school located in a county within a 250 mile radius of MTSU
* OR graduate from a high school in a bordering state for new students beginning Fall 2019
- Have an ACT composite of 25 (or SAT equivalent) or above
- Prior to March 2016- SAT score of 1130 (Critical Reading & Math)
- March 2016 and future tests- SAT score of 1200 (Critical Reading & Math)
- Attend full time (at least 12 hours)
- Apply for the Academic Common market program (if available)
Students who qualify will receive:
- A reduced tuition rate equal to approximately 48% off the standard out of state rate. Students participating in the Academic Common Market Program may receive even lower rates.
- Automatic consideration for the MTSU Freshman Academic Merit Scholarships (see additional requirements below)
Students not meeting initial eligibility requirements that feel they should be considered can submit an Appeal Request to the MT One Stop, SSAC 210. Examples for an appeal could include a high school within the range but not listed, out-of-date test scores, homeschooled students or transfers who did not submit ACT/SAT scores.
Students who complete the application for admission to the University by December 1 for the following fall admission will receive the special tuition rate and may qualify for an academic scholarship (see additional requirements below). There is no separate application for the Regional Scholars program.
Students who apply after December 1 but before the start of the term for the following fall admission will receive the special tuition rate but will not be guaranteed an academic scholarship.
Eligible High Schools
The following map will provide a reasonable estimate of the area of eligibility of this program.
You can also check your state's list below for a list of eligible high schools. If your high school is not listed, please contact us for more details.
*Homeschooled students living within the 250 mile radius must self-identify in order to be reviewed.
Students who will be joining MTSU in the summer or fall semesters, who apply by the priority deadline, and who meet minimum eligibility requirements for the following awards will be offered the appropriate scholarship as long as funding is available.
30 - 36 (1390 - 1600)
25 - 29 (1200-1380)
Effective for Freshman entering in Fall 2019, the True Blue Scholarship & Provost Scholarship will NOT be awarded due to a restructuring of the freshman scholarships including an increase to the Presidential Scholarship.
SAT equivalent scores are for tests taken March 2016 and after and will include Critical Reading and Math scores.
Requirements for Continuing Eligibility
Students must maintain full-time enrollment in the fall and spring semesters. If a student withdraws from a class or classes and drops below full-time, they will be asked to pay out-of-state tuition for that term. A student may regain Regional classification the next term, provided they enroll full-time. If there are documentable extenuating circumstances for the change in enrollment, students can appeal the change in tuition using the appeal form. This form must be submitted to the One Stop prior to the end of the term in question.
Graduate students interested in learning more about the Regional Scholars program should contact the College of Graduate Studies.
- Coursework Toward Program of Study
- FAFSA Application
- Federal Student Aid
- MTSU Net Price Calculator
- MTSU Cost of Attendance
- MTSU Fee Discounts and Waivers
- Financial Aid Refunds/Direct Deposit
- PipelineMT Instructions for Financial Aid
- Institutional Disclosures for Consumers
- Drug-Free Schools and Campuses Act Compliance